Chapter 36

36.

I should have said no. We didn't have sex. There was sex sure, but there was more. It was something dangerous. It was the kind of thing that existed between lovers, between people who knew the other's soul.

The kiss was slow like we had all the time in the world. It was deep like we were on a quest to know the other's well-kept secrets from just our intertwined mouths. It was soft like there was fear any more force would leave irreparable bruises. The problem was it was the softness that was leaving bruises, emotional bruises that seemed impossible to heal.

I drowned in the kiss, the intensity of it overwhelming me. It wasn't physical intensity because there wasn't any. There was nothing that could drown me yet I felt like I was drowning. It was overwhelming yet I clung onto it, not wanting it to end. Ross's lips were gentle against mine. His hands slowly traced my abs as we kissed. With every touch and every move my body became alive.

Our clothes were taken off in almost a ritualistic manner, slowly and with caution. When Ross's shirt was off him I put my hands on his waist as he leaned over, getting on top of me slightly. His body was warm as my fingers moved up and down his spine. His warmth was transferring into me, making me calm and yet igniting a fire in me. His breath hitched suddenly and he pulled out of the kiss. I was afraid he'd changed his mind.

I waited with bated breath for him to tell me he had to leave but I felt his hand on the side of my face instead. He caressed softly, chasing my fears with every move. I looked up into his eyes. He didn't look away. Even with the darkness in the room I could see the blueness of his orbs. He stared back at me softly. It was as if he was trying to say something but I couldn't decipher it. Whatever he wanted to say had to be warm, gentle...there was no distress or confusion in the windows to his soul.

My lips parted slightly. His lowered until they met blissfully. The pace increased but it still wasn't as frenzy as our kisses usually were. Every point of contact seemed to merge our bodies together, creating electric sparks that ran across my whole body. My breathing increased significantly.

Ross stopped kissing me on the lips and pushed the sheets back so he could straddle me. I had no idea what he had in mind until his head disappeared in my neck. The kisses were soft yet erotic enough to get my heart going well above my resting rate. He kissed my neck and lowered himself to my chest and abdomen, kissing and licking.

The feel of his lips on me was the only thing I was aware of. I felt the light brush with his lower lip and the wetness of his tongue dragging slightly below my umbilicus. When he raised his head his bit his lower lip and smiled tentatively.

The look on his face had my heart quivering slightly. I couldn't see him properly but I didn't have to. I felt connected to him.

I put my hands on his thighs, tracing lines until I decided to grab him by the waist, switching our positions. When his head hit the soft pillow his lips parted slightly, releasing a beautiful vulnerable moan. It was different. It was just different. He looked vulnerable. He sounded vulnerable.

He was safe. He knew he was safe. Was something else the reason he looked vulnerable?

When he put his hand on my abdomen I pushed the thoughts about his vulnerability to the back of my mind. I leaned over to kiss him and gave him the sort of gentle intimate care he gave me. I didn't feel obliged to do it. I wanted to do it. I wanted to satisfy him, to do more than satisfy him. I wanted to know the depths of his soul and every curve on his body. I wanted to appreciate everything that made him moan and whatever increased his heart beat. I wanted him to feel electrical shocks cascading down his body like they did mine.