Chapter 27

C H A P T E R  2 7

VICTORIA

As much as I want to leave the Great Hall now, I simply cannot. For tonight will be the champions selection and everyone is obligated to sit here in this crowd of foreigners who've become familiar in their couple of days stay here at Hogwarts.

I am currently seated in between Thunder and Julliene. Draco Malfoy and his cronies just behind us and, Millard and a couple of students from Durmstrang beside us.

As annoying as it seems, Draco Malfoy has decided that playing with my hair is something much worthwhile rather than waiting for Dumbledore to finish whatever he is saying.

I flipped another page over, my eyes never leaving the words in my Hunger Games book, Avery has given me for my birthday.

As I was being dragged into the world of Katniss Everdeen and the 12 Districts, I could hear Dumbledore saying something before every thing went still and silent. Even Draco stopped running his hands through my hair.

I neglected the world around me as I kept on reading the part where Katniss' sister gets picked when I heard a weird kind of noise.

I looked up to see the fire in the goblet to burst into great flames. Ah, the champion selection has started. I went back to reading my book, clearly not interested as to what was going on around me.

I leaned forward, rested my elbows on my knees, my eyes still scanning the pages of my book.

Cheers had erupted in the hall but I continued my focus on Katniss' thoughts about being chosen - more like volunteering - as a representative for her district.

A few more silence and cheers, it was already time for Professor Dumbledore's short speech or whatever when suddenly, Julliene gasped beside me.

Confused, I looked up from my book and saw the goblet spitting out another sheet of almost burned parchment.

I thought there were only three champions? Even Professor Dumbledore looked like he was about to have a unibrow.

A chorus of murmurs spread through out the Great Hall. The professor said something I didn't catch.

"Harry Potter!" Professor Dumbledore said, louder than the first time - and wait, what?! I scanned the hall for the familiar bundle of messy jet black haired, Gryffindor.

"How- what-?" The words slip out of my lips without me even noticing. I am utterly, stupendously, incredulously, confused as a full grown mountain troll being taught how to waltz.

"But, isn't that- I don't know- illegal?" Julliene muttered from beside me.

My eyes scanned the hall to look for Harry, and there they were, by the opposite wall, Harry completely dumbfounded and Hermione and Ron clearly shocked. Having some sense on her, Hermione had shoved Harry forward to get him to move towards the professor.

There's got to be a huge mistake. I mean, he's not even seventeen! Harry hesitantly walked up front towards the confused headmaster who handed him the damned parchment with his name on it.

"He's a cheat."

"How did he manage to do that?"

"But what about that spell Dumbledore casted?"

Murmurs of disapproval went through my ears. I shook my head in disappointment. Professor Dumbledore surely wouldn't let Harry continue with the championship, right? It's just too dangerous, lives have been taken away just for the sake of glory. Why in the name of Merlin did they even bring it back?