Chapter Five

[Skylar’s POV]

It was the weekend and that meant I had a lot of work to get done. A lot of people think it means a job but no. I actually love to dance. Any kind of dance, hip hop, tap, jazz, but my favorite is ballet. I got up at 7:30 on Saturday morning and put on my ballet outfit.

I was ready for a hard day at the studio. My family and I had moved from Australia to New York, America when my brother and I were in fourth grade.

In New York I had studied ballet at the highest ranked studio and been one of the top in my class. When my family moved back to Australia a year ago, the local studio was nowhere near as advanced as the one in New York so the owner of the local studio told me that I could teach the younger children and use the studio over the weekend.

I got into my car and drove to the studio, ready to work myself to the bone. I sat in the corner of the studio, stretching and gulping water from my CamelBak water bottle.

I was dripping in sweat and Metallica’s Ride the Lightning was blaring from the speakers. I tried to stand but my muscles were so tired I just groaned and fell back onto the floor in a spread eagle position. Suddenly my phone rang from next to me.

Without looking at who was calling, I answered it assuming it was my mom. “Hi, Mom,” I said into the phone, staring at the ceiling and watching the fans spin round and round. “Umm hi Skylar,” I heard on the other side of the phone. I knew that voice.

I sat straight up, blushing even though he wasn’t even close to me, “Hello Beau,” I said quietly, trying to figure out what on Earth he wanted from “Hey! I was just wondering if you could help me with my…um…biology homework?” “We have biology together?” I asked him, confused.

“No, I guess I just need help,” he said, sounding nervous.

“Well, I’m busy right now,” I said into my phone, “But I’m free later,” I added quietly. I wasn’t sure I wanted to spend time alone with Beau; he just made me so nervous and I wasn’t sure if he was a good guy or not.

“How about we meet up at 2:30? You can come over to my house,” He said and gave me his address. “Um sure, I guess,” I said nervously and just hung up. I sat there, staring at my phone before I let out a large squeal and sprang up, jumping around and smiling widely.

I ran over to the speakers and blasted the song Separate Ways by Journey and just goofed around, spinning and leaping. I couldn’t stop giggling. Beau Brooks wants to study with me!

[Beau’s POV]

I stared at the phone where it said ‘call ended’. She just hung up on me. No one does that. I was actually kind of nervous for Skylar to come over. I looked around my bedroom, noticing that there were clothes strewn everywhere.

I rushed around, trying to tidy up my room. I made the bed and threw clothes into the laundry hamper. I ran down to the kitchen and found my brothers sitting there.

“Hey guys, make sure you guys are gone by 2:30,” I told them, grabbing a glass from the cupboard to fill it up with water.

“Why,” Jai asked, not looking up from his phone.

I rolled my eyes, “I’ve got someone coming over later,” I said, trying to keep it as vague as possible. “Who?” Luke asked, also immersed in his phone, “Skylar Harrison,” I muttered into my glass of water. This caused both the boys to look up, “Skylar Harrison?” they said together. Luke grinned mischievously, “You gonna get some tonight?” He asked with a wink.

“Nah, we’re studying,” I said, trying to keep my voice monotone. “You’re going to lose the dare soon!” Jai exclaimed. “I know,” I said, annoyed, “But I’m not going to sleep with a girl I don’t know that well,” I added defensively.

“It’s never bothered you before!” Luke said, surprised. “Well, those girls were different,” I said, feeling a bit self-conscious. “You mean they were whores?” Jai asked, a small grin spreading across his face. “Exactly,” I said abruptly before spinning around to go back to my room.

I collapsed onto my bed in deep thought.

If it were any other girl, I wouldn’t have any problem doing a one-night stand with her.

But Skylar was different. I sure as hell didn’t like her, I’d barely even talked to the girl! Maybe it was because she was so shy and so small I would feel horrible taking advantage of her like that.

Why did my brothers have to set me up with the one girl it’s impossible to sleep with? I’m screwed.