Chapter 33

[Skylar’s POV]

I nervously paced outside of the boy’s locker room after school.

Today was the big day; today was the day the soccer captain was picked. Either way, the captain would be someone I knew and loved but that wasn’t what I was worried about.

If Sam won, Beau would probably break up with me because he wouldn’t be able to stand being with his arch nemesis’ sister.

If Beau won, Sam would get angry and probably convince my parents to keep me under lock and key and never let me see Beau again, only feeding me bread through the bars of my jail cell. Okay, maybe I was being a little overdramatic.

Suddenly, the door burst open and the overpowering smell of Axe cologne spewed out the entrance as the boys streamed out, loudly with one another.

I stood on my tip-toes to try and see over the crowd for the two boys I was waiting for.

Finally, I caught a glimpse of Beau’s head and saw Sam walking next to him. I pushed through some people, trying not to be creepy by taking a deep breath of the good smelling cologne, and finally made my way over to the two of them.

The first thing I noticed was the sullen expressions on both of their faces. Instantly, I was struck with fear; what if they both didn’t get the captain title.

I mean, I know there was other competition, but I thought at least one of them would get voted captain because they were the most popular candidates.

“So, what happened?” I asked, looking at their faces, void of emotion. “We, um, well,” Beau stuttered out before looking over at Sam.

Their faces both split into wide grins, “We’re co-captains!” Sam burst out excitedly. I squealed, grabbing them both into a hug and jumping up and down.

After I calmed down, they told me how it happened, “So, at first our votes were split in a tie, both of us had twelve votes each, and so the coach naturally asked for a recount,” Sam explained.

Then Beau took over, “At first a recount sounded like a great idea, but then Sam and I both realized that we both wanted the captainship just as much as the other so we thought that sharing it sounded like the best idea.” I grinned proudly at both of them, excited that they had been able to work out their differences.

“Well, do you know what this calls for?” I asked them, slinging my arms around their shoulders and leading them to the parking lot, “ICE-CREAM!” we all yelled together, laughing.