Chapter Six

[Skylar’s POV]

When I got out of my shower, I checked the clock. It was 2:00; looked like I didn’t have that much time to get ready.

I threw my hair up into a bun and changed into an outfit that looked presentable. I was walking out of my bedroom when I ran into Sam and some of his friends in the hallway.

“Hi, Sam,” I said, trying to get past him. “Where are you going Sky?” he asked me as his friends looked me up and down.

I nervously pulled down my crop top and studied the ground. “I’m just going to study with someone,” I said quietly, hoping he would let me leave.

“Who,” he said, asking the one question I was dreading. “Beau Brooks,” I said so softly I was sure he wouldn’t be able to hear me. “WHAT?” He yelled, exploding.

I flinched away from him, hoping he would stop yelling. He grabbed my arm and dragged me into the living room.

“Why in the world are you going to the Brook’s house,” Sam demanded, acting livid, “You know I hate him!" I retreated into the corner of the room, trying to get as much space between me and Sam as possible, “I just…he was being nice to me,” I said quietly, hating how unsure I sounded of myself.

“Other people are nice to you!” Sam bellowed, his face turning red.

I swallowed down my fears and raised my head, mustering a small amount of courage, “Sam, you are not the boss of me.

I can see who I want to and if that person makes me happy, you have no right in interfering and making me unhappy,” I said with more force than I was used to. When I was finished I looked at Sam’s face, nervous for his reaction.

Sam’s eyes softened as he studied my face, “I’m sorry, Sky. I just don’t want anyone to hurt you. If he ever hurts you, I’ll kick his ass,” he added with a grin.

I laughed, even though I knew he wasn’t joking. Sam laughed with me and pulled me into a hug, “I haven’t heard you laugh in a long time, Sky.

Have fun studying,” He said with a wink before walking back into the hallway to be with his friends. I let out a breathe I didn’t know I was holding and followed him out to the hallway.

I walked out the door and to my car.

I knew I wasn’t ready to go over to the Brook’s but I jammed my key into the ignition anyways. Here goes.

[Beau’s POV]

I was straightening the pillows on my bed when I heard a car roar up into the driveway.

I looked out the window to see Skylar sitting in her car, the top down, and large sunglasses covering her eyes.

She was looking in the overhead mirror, fixing her hair before she turned off the engine and threw the back of her head against the seat she was sitting in.

She emitted a large sigh as if she was reluctant to come in. I realized how creepy I seemed, looking out the window and staring openly at her.

I broke my stare and ran to the door, flinging it open just as she was starting her car up again. “Skylar, wait! Where are you going?” I shouted at her.

She jumped, obviously not expecting me to be there. “Um, nowhere,” I heard her say before shutting the engine off again.

She got out of the car and I watched her lean, long legs climb out of the car. My eyes traveled slowly up her body, taking in her elegant curves and beautifully tanned skin. My eyes rose to meet her red face.

Damn.

She had caught me staring. I forced my own flush down and shook off my embarrassment. “Hey,” I said, trying to be suave. She giggled softly before matching my tone, “Hey”. I smiled, studying her large blue eyes.

Those eyes broke from my gaze and looked down. She was studying her feet again. “Do you want to come inside?” I asked her. She nodded before turning to grab her backpack out of her car.

I lead her to my front stoop and held the door open for her. She smiled briefly at me before entering the house. I followed her in, and then shut the door.