Chapter Sixteen

[Skylar’s POV]

I was trying to take deep, calming breaths as I stood, hidden at the top of the staircase, waiting to pounce when the doorbell rang. I was trying to keep quiet so my mom wouldn’t find me again and ask an unstopping slew of questions about Beau.

Suddenly, my phone rang, loudly and clearly.

I cursed when I heard my mom call, “Skylar? Is that you dear?”  “Yeah, mom! I’ll be down in a minute,” I yelled back before picking up the phone.

I didn’t recognize the number, but it was probably the beauty salon in Seattle calling for ‘Shelly’ again. “Hello?” I said into the phone, walking back down the hall to my room and shutting the door for privacy.

“Hey, is this Skylar?” an unfamiliar voice said in reply. “Um, yeah. Who’s asking?” I asked warily.

“It’s Max. Max Parker, from the party?” he said, sounding a bit nervous. “Hey Max!” I said excitedly into the phone. “Hi!” he exclaimed before clearing his throat, “Listen, I know you probably get asked this a lot because you’re kind of…um beautiful but-“ he broke off hesitantly.

“Yeah?” I asked, thankful that he couldn’t see me because I was a big stuttering and blushing mess from his words. “I, um, was wondering if you wanted to go out with me sometime?” At those words, I felt my heart lift into the air.

I actually felt wanted for once, “…And I mean I understand if you don’t want to go, I mean I’m sure you have a lot of guys chasing after you at Huntington, but I was hoping—“ “Max!” I said sharply, cutting him off from his rambling, “I’d love to go out with you,” I said, a smile wide on my face.

“Great!” Max said, and I could hear the relief in his voice, “Are you free next Saturday?” He asked and I ran over to my planner to check and see if I had anything going. “Yeah, I am!” I said, getting really excited. “Great. I’ll pick you up at 3 then?” “Yeah, sure.

What are we doing?” I asked nervously. If it was anything athletic I would for sure end up tripping or something and humiliate myself. “Is it okay if we just go to the movies and then  dinner or something?” Max asked.

“Yeah sure,” I said, trying to still act excited. I loved seeing movies, but I always thought my first date would be a little less cliché and a little more original. “Great, see you then!” Max said hurriedly as if trying to get me off the phone.

“Yeah, see you. Bye Max,” I said, hanging up. I tossed my phone on the bed and stared at the wall for a moment before it finally hit me. Someone finally asked me out on a date.

I jumped around the room, squealing from excitement.

Sam suddenly stuck his head in my room, “Sky, Be—are you ok?” he said, cutting himself off from his original thought when he saw me jumping around my room.

I stopped jumping and flipped my hair over my shoulder, casually.

“Yeah, why?” Sam shook his head, “Um, Beau’s here,” he finally said. “Oh my god!” I screeched, “Why didn’t you tell me?” I ran out my room and skidded to a stop.

I ran back into my room, checked my hair in the mirror and scurried back out again. I thumped down the steps, nearly wiping out a few times, before I reached the bottom of the stairs and crashed into someone. I groaned, clutching my head and spitting some hair out of my mouth.

“Hey Skylar, fancy seeing you here,” Beau said, looking up at me with amusement in his eyes. I looked down and realized I was lying right on top of him. “Um, sorry,” I stuttered out, blushing furiously. Beau just smirked at me, unaffected.