Chapter 27

Chapter 27

Andrea

            “Maggie the Spy. Maggie the Stupid Spy. Maggie the Idiot Spy,” I repeat to myself over and over again. It’s still hard to believe that Maggie is a spy. And after searching through all her records and conversations, we have all the information we need. But still. Maggie the Spy? It is strange.

            “Andrea, get it together,” Jake whispers to me. We’re standing at the information desk in an airline building on Deyjen, waiting on the slow attendant to search for Maggie’s flight records.

            “Well, she just recently bought a ticket from our universal express line, and she boarded the one-passenger rocket the Lightning a little under two hours ago,” the attendant tells us. “And by our hangar information, it’s already left.”

            “The Lightning?” Jake swears something under his breath. He turns back to the attendant. “What’s the fastest passenger-cargo ship you have?”

            “The fastest, you say? Hm, looks like you need to be somewhere right away, huh? Wait a minute, aren’t you Captain Orson’s son?” The attendant chatters away, without noticing the irritated look Jacob’s giving her.

            “Find us the ship or I’m going to break your ankle,” he says menacingly.

            “Jake, you can’t just go around threatening people. It doesn’t matter if you’re the son of someone important; you’re on a different planet with bigger authorities,” I remind him.

            “Your girlfriend’s right, Mr. Jacob sir. Now darling, are you looking to hold a couple handfuls of people?”

            “Not even close. More like three-thousand. Jake is leading an invasion for the Almnerixian Tribal War,” I explain.

            “Ah, following in daddy’s footsteps, are we? Well, let me see what we have here right now,” the attendant says. I can see Jake growing more and more agitated with each remark the woman says.

            “Jake, why don’t you go back to the ship and inform everyone of our swap and tell them to get ready. I’ll stay here to make the arrangements.” And deal with this crazy woman, I think in my mind, knowing that he’ll pick up on my thoughts. Since he’s a mind-power, even if just a small one, he still can read minds, but only from a close distance.

            He nods and walks briskly away from the counter and the teasing attendant.

            “A touchy young man, isn’t he?” the woman comments.

            “Yes. Now let’s get back to finding a ship, shall we?” I prod her. She nods and turns back to the screen.

===================================================================