Twenty-One

[song recommendation: (G)I-DLE – Hann]

⠀⠀Jungkook could feel his knees going weak and bile begging to come out of his throat. He felt so small and frail in front of Jin—it had been years since he'd last seen him, after all, and he'd only gotten taller, more built, and more intimidating.

⠀⠀Looking just as surprised, Jin's mouth fell slightly as he looked at the younger with widened eyes. "J-Jungkook? What are you doing here?" he asked.

⠀⠀Like a deer in headlights, Jungkook remained still, his body frozen but his heart palpitating. He felt fifteen again, helpless and scared, and he needed protection. He needed Taehyung.

⠀⠀"T-Tae," Jungkook called out, his voice meek and soft.

⠀⠀Getting up from the couch, Taehyung asked, "Who is it, Kook?" while walking over to the front door. Eyes meeting with his former friend's, Taehyung's jaw tightened and his eyes darkened like clouds before rain. He stood beside Jungkook, pulling the younger to his side, and Jungkook tugged onto Taehyung's shirt and eased himself behind him for protection.

⠀⠀"What the hell are you doing here?" Taehyung growled, almost demanding an answer out of Jin.

⠀⠀"Whoa- no need to be so hostile, dude. I came here to see Namjoon," Jin answered with his eyebrows raised.

⠀⠀"J-Jin," Jungkook muttered almost inaudibly, saying it to himself like he needed assure himself that Jin was really standing in front of him.

⠀⠀In between this sudden tension, the other three boys walked over and shared the same reactions to seeing Jin, their eyes widening and mouths gaping open. Except, they weren't scared like Jungkook nor pissed like Taehyung.

⠀⠀"Holy shit- bro, I thought you were in Korea," Namjoon said, brushing past the couple and pulling Jin in for a hug and patting him on the back.

⠀⠀"Well, I was," Jin chuckled during their embrace, "I finished the term early. Just got back, actually. Thought I'd surprise you."

⠀⠀"Man, we got a lot to catch up on. Come in, come in," Namjoon remarked and motioned for Jin to walk in.

⠀⠀Brushing past Taehyung and Jungkook, Jin walked over to greet Hoseok and Yoongi. While they immersed themselves in conversation, Namjoon looked over at Taehyung and gave him a knowing look.

⠀⠀ "Hey- relax, yeah?" Namjoon uttered as he grabbed Taehyung's elbow. "It's been over 3 years. Don't make things more awkward than they have to be."

⠀⠀Taehyung almost wanted to laugh right in Namjoon's face. It was easy for him to tell Taehyung to relax when he wasn't in Taehyung's position. While Taehyung's anger had subsided over the past years, after hearing all the things Jin did to Jungkook, it was only ignited once again.

⠀⠀"I don't know, Joon. I-" Taehyung sighed and looked down at his boyfriend, Jungkook's eyes big and lips pouty. "Depends what Jungkook wants." Taehyung grabbed Jungkook's waist and asked, "Do you wanna leave, baby? We don't have to stay here, if you don't want to. Don't want you feeling uncomfortable."

⠀⠀Biting his lip and looking down at his feet, Jungkook contemplated a bit. He didn't want to make a scene out of this and make things weird for the others, but being around Jin was- well, it was fucking awkward. Just when Jungkook thought he had closed that chapter of his life, here Jin was trying to reopen it.

⠀⠀But with Taehyung by his side, his big hands wrapped around Jungkook, the boy felt safe. Jungkook met eyes with Taehyung and slipped Taehyung's hands off of his waist, interlacing them with his own hands instead. "It's okay, Taehyungie. I'll be fine- just don't start anything. I don't want any problems," Jungkook murmured, his voice soft like his features.