|Thirty|

🔫Nikolai🔫

My lips stretched into a smile or what I attempted to be one when I sighted the car coming up the driveway.
Finally, I thought. I got to see her again. Sweet little Penelope whom I'd had no choice but to abandon. After years of hiding away I found the courage I needed to be a man and face my fears.

Penelope swing me back from the dead wasn't the only thing I found scary. I glanced down at my arm, running my fingers over the  zagged scars I'd forever have to live with. The same scars that subjected me to a life hiding in the shadows. Having to spy on my sister and stalk the girl I loved from beneath a hoody.

I gritted my teeth. I watched the the car slow to a halt on the mosaic driveway and Slash climbed out, opened the door to the back seat and lifted my sister effortlessly into his arms.

Chill bumps spread like a plague over my entire body as her face came into view. Dark curls shrouded her forehead as her head lulled to the side. Slash straighted and held Penelope close to his chest almost as if she were nothing  in his arms.

As if he knew he was being watched, Slasher looked up through the arched windows right at me. For a tall slim man his strength baffled me at times.

He disappeared under the walkway. I braced myself for the events that would unfold tonight. I expected anger. Lots of crying. Penelope always cried. But she was also a short fuse, my nick name for her, after getting our mother's temper.

At the sound of Slash's footstep my heart did a funny little flip. The bedroom I'd had set up for her was just down the hall, five doors from my office.

Still I didn't move. My heart swelled painfully in my chest.  Sweat formed on my nape and I heard the roaring of blood in my ears.

Why was I doing this to myself? More importantly, my sister? Because I was damn selfish was what it was. Selfish and lonely. The intimate companionship I ached for to the depths of my soul were out of my grasp. And it made me seethe, it made me despise the world and all its injustices.

But Penelope... Short Fuse had suffered more than I. Even if I'd experienced one of the worst ways to die and persevered, I had physical scars. Pen had to live with all of them that were the end result of what she went through.

I put on my brave face even when I was crumbling inside and flung the door open. I didn't dare look back. If I did I would crumble and rub.

I continued taking one scorching step at a time until I stood outside the bedroom. I stated at it until it creaked open in my face. Slash's face appeared and he gave me a sharp nod before the tattooed man strode away.

He'd placed her on her side and I noticed the clothes she wore. Black and lifeless. They were designed to disguise and protect her. So men wouldn't noticed her except one had. What the fuck my sister saw him I had no idea. And from Slash's observation of him he wasn't the right man for her. But what did I know?

I closed my eyes and I thought of her. I wasn't the right man for her but that didn't stop me from craving her. So who was I to dare judge my sister over her preferences of men?

I moved towards the bed, my ryes fierce on her sleeping form. Tentatively, I reached out and stroked her cheek. They were no longer round like they used to when I'd have done everything in my power to keep her innocence in tact.

I'd failed her and when she knew that she had been paying for my-

My breath hitched when she whimpered and as I leaned closer I saw that her lips were a silent plea of his name. Emilio.

I sat in the chair next to the bed and waited. Her soft laboured breaths and peaceful face told me her mind wasn't corroded with dark images and filthy things.

I jumped a little when she rolled over and sighed, "Emilio."

I scowled. Who was this god awful man and what drugs did he have my sweet sister on? Horror struck when she reached down and buried her hand between her thighs.

My conclusion, then: I was going to kill Emilio.

I was going to give him a painful death. I would asked Slash the method to rip one's spline through their asshole. Slash was the Webster of gruesome death methods.

A sick smile formed on my lips.

Looking back on Penelope I saw that she now laid limp. No more filthy dreams for your dirty mind, Pen-Pen.
The door to the bedroom opened and Slash beckoned to me. I gave her one long look before following her down the hall to my office.

"What's wrong?" I asked.
Slash looked at me as he would anyone else. With utter disinterest. Perhaps we understood each other because of all the things we'd been through.

"There a man with her tonight," Slash began quietly. "He attempted to rape her."
I flinched at the word rape. "Did you key him leave?"
Slash's smile was...it wasn't a smile. It was a diabolical twist of his lips that promised chaos.

"He's currently laying at the bottom of the sewer."

"Good. Who was he?"
"Vaughn. Serial harasser."
"Find out if he has any immediate family. Kids, wife or girlfriend. Arrange for compensation if there are any children."
Slash nodded and stood to leave.

I went back to Penelope's room. As I sat down I heard her groan. My nerves were jittery at the same moment and then...her eyes fluttered open and she stared right at me. I had a mini heart attack.

So Penelope's DEAD brother who perished in a fire is very much alive...😈😱

Please don't forget to vote and comment.