|Thirty-Eight|

Every story of wealth has a secret of crime.

Emilio

The first time I realised my father wasn't the man I thought he was I saw the world for what it was; a dark unforgivable place where only the wicked triumph. So I stopped being good. I was ten when I witnessed my father putting his hand on my mother. He said it was to teach her discipline. In my young mind I knew it wasn't right so I started to hit him back.

I begged him to punish me instead. The Mexican drug lord, my father, had looked at me and laughed. One day I stopped listening to her screams. I blocked it out because I felt weak and incapable of helping her.

It was the first time I decided that a gun was my friend. Later I realized that a coward's only weapon was his gun. It was funny but true. The first time I killed a man my father had applauded and I'd seen the pride shinning in his eyes. It was the first time in the fifteen years I'd been born he'd ever pay me on the head.
I'd made him proud by spilling blood. The disgusted part of me had wept inside but the part that was still desperate for a father's affection reveled in it.

"Mr del Guardo?"
I looked up to see my female PA.
"The helicopter is on standby."
"Thank you."
I placed the framed photo of my mother back over the ancient fireplace. Over the years I'd tried my best to keep the house from falling apart. All the good and bad memories were rooted here and everything about this dark place was sentimental to me.
My mother had loved this house until it became her prison. I'd promised myself that once I'd found her bones I'd burry her inside it. It would be her crypt.

After a final glance at the massive living suit I followed my PA, Natalie to the open field where the helicopter was on standby, the engine humming. I allowed Natalie to go in first to strap her in.

"Any other stop before we head back to the airport?" the pilot asked.
"No. Just home"
At that we left my childhood estate behind.
"Are you thinking to spend Christmas here, Mr del Guardo?" Natalie asked.
I hadn't thought about Christmas since I was small.
"I don't think so, Natalie. Christmas is for the happy."
She looked at me questioningly.
"I had a difficult childhood," I told her.

"I see. But you can start over, Mr del Guardo. Don't let the darkness out weight the light."

Her words made me think about Penelope. What was she doing now? Was she waiting on me to arrive? Was she wearing white again? I closed my eyes and envisioned her. I didn't know what it was with her in that tint- a smirk curved on my lips, remembering the first time shed corrected me in white being a tint and not a color. Well color or tint, she wore it well and my cock agreed.

Hours later when we finally arrived in the city I felt jittery. All the blinding lights and decorations were overwhelming. Stopping at a street side vendor I bought a single rose for Penelope.

The house was deadly quiet when I arrived. I frowned at the broken glass on the kitchen floor. I pulled my gun out instantly.
"Penelope?"
Nothing.
"Boo!"
I whirled around to find Nikolai standing in the doorway. When had he come in? I tucked my gin in my holster.
This time though, he wasn't hiding beneath a hoody. The light cast shadows all over the burnt side of his face.

"Why ate you here this late?"
Nikolai smirked but it came out looking maniacal because of the burn that ruined the corner of his mouth.

"This is my home, Emilio."
His eyes flickered to the rose in my hand.