|Thirty-Three|

Emilio

"Is she out yet?"
I didn't bother to beat around the bush. Right now I only cared about taking Penelope back home safe and sound. 

Matteo shrugged. "She's a tough cookie. She insisted on waiting for her boyfriend."

I scoffed loudly at the phrase. "I'm not her boyfriend."

"Joyce's daughter seems to beg to differ and so does Joyce. You've been gone from the apartment a lot."

My eyes snapped to his as he smirked at me.

"Stay away from my house and the women in it."

"Sorry, Emilio. I see you have something there that I liked and I want to sample and savor it."

His smile was wicked and his eyes sinister. Instantly his words connect.

"Stay away from Joyce's daughter, Matteo. She's a sweet girl. Don't drag her into whatever the hell you have."

"So is Penelope."

I laughed dryly. "That's where you're wrong. Penelope can handle me. Her mind's already corrupted. There's nothing I can take from her that she hasn't lost."

Matteo's jaw clenched. "Why? Does it make you feel better that she was a former whore? Is that it?"

His words made me flinch. And I sprang our of my chair to pounce in him only to be dragged back down by the chains linked to the center of the table attached to my cuffs.

"Don't say that word where she's concerned."

"You know it's true. You picked her because she is just like you, Emilio. You know that with normal women you can't get what you want because they understand good and bad. Penelope's not like that. She's a victim who seeks solace and acceptance in the wrong place. In you."

"Shut up, Matteo," I warned. "You know not what you speak."

I felt the furry clawing through my veins. The need to retaliate was making me twitch with madness.

"Don't get biblical on me. You know it's true. A woman like Penelope is tainted. I'm your friend and I'll always fucking tell you the truth whether you like it or not."

"Enough!" I thundered.

Matteo didn't flinch. Instead he smiled.

"Let her go, Emilio. You know your intentions with the girl aren't honorable."

"Her father's dead. I don't need to seek his permission."

I was aware of how I sound and I knew Matteo was right. His truth reflected in my eyes and he could see it. I should just forget about Penelope but I couldn't. I was selfish and when I wanted something I had to have it regardless of who got hurt.

The door to the room open and this time was Detective Frank. I didn't tolerate Fox and his questions earlier so they had Frank interrogate me.

"The samples came back from the labs," Detective Frank announced just as Fox scrambled in reluctantly.

"The blood on the shirt was from...a rat. Not human."

I couldn't help but laugh. Of course only I would hit a rodent so hard that it's blood spluttered all over me.

"This was a waste of my fucking time," I muttered. "Look detectives, while you have my girlfriend and I-" Matteo scoffed and I cut him a glare. "-locked up in here. The real killer is somewhere out there. The same one who took his wife and child. All of this is a game." Of course I won't tell them it's my own father that I suspect is the perpetrator in this. "Have you spoken to them yet?"