|Forty-Three|

🔫Nikolai🔫

I took a drag of my cigar as I watched  them bring out Vaughn Hendricks' corpse in a black body bag in a gurney. I hated dead bodies lying around in public and do that was why I had tipped off the local police snout his whereabouts. It turned out no one cared and Slash had done the world a favour by ridding it of another convicted rapist from suburban Michigan.

I took one last drag of the cancer stick before flipping the burning bud to the ground and stepping on it to defuse the flames. Taking one last look at the scene I tucked my hands inside my jacket pocket and began on my next destination.

Of all the things I thought I would have been I didn't anticipate a coward and a liar to be in the description box. Lying to Penelope was a small sacrifice. I'd known while the fire was getting closer and closer, kicking my flesh with agony that Juan had meant when he promised me he would take something precious from me that he meant my sister. She was the prize and it hadn't occurred to me until death was pulling me into its void as the flames were sucking my flesh like a deprived mouth.

Penelope didn't have to know that I knew.  She already hated me and if I revealed anymore it would drive an even bigger wedge between us and any chances of reconciliation I parted for. I needed my sister back into my life like I needed to breathe air.

Glancing up I saw her. The woman my heart ached and beat twice for. The angel that my made my blood heat and my c*ck hard. I needed another her goddamn cigarette. If I seated here any longer I would be one step closer to doing what I knew I shouldn't.
Just ad I turned to walk away I heard a scream, her scream. Cool surged though my blood when I saw a her on the ground and a man picking up her purse before taking off. Pulling out my phone I dialled Slash.
"Yes?"
"There's a man running towards the car wearing a black hoody. He's over six feet, shoot him in the kneecap and fetch the purse."
"With pleasure," Slash purred.
Pulling my hoody closer around my face I stride across the street where she was still sitting on the pavement, blood dripping from a wound on her keen cap.
"Where else are you hurt?"
She gasped as my shadow loomed over her. Even though it was dark I could see the fear in her eyes as she glanced at me before her eyes scanned the distance between us.
"Am not going to hurt you," Nikolai pledged. Take my hand."
"H-He took my bag," she spluttered.
"I know. I'll ensure you get it back, no worries."
Her eyes moved over my face surreptitiously. I made sure to turn the ruined half of my face towards the glare of light from the street lamp.
"Please, trust me. You're hurt."
Finally, after what seemed like forever she placed her hand in mine. I gaped at the fierce spark that sizzled through me at her delicate touch. He quickly composed himself and pulled her to her feet.
"Can you stand on your own? Do you want me to lift you?"
She gave me a puzzled yet irked look. "That's really nice of you but I can stand on my own. That thief took my valuables."
"I can assure you he didn't get far. You'll get them delivered early tomorrow. Trust me."
"Do I have a choice?" she quipped.
"Do you live near?"
He bent and picked up her fallen groceries.
"It's just another block."
Nikolai straightened and handed the paper bag back to her. She was even more beautiful up close than I'd seen in the photos Slash had taken months ago.
"Would you like me to walk you?"
She quirked a dark brow me. "Do I look like a damsel in distress to you?"
The force of her words reared me back, leaving me partially speechless.
"Um...no of course that's not what I meant."
She cocked her head, her eyes gleaming mockingly.
"Look, I don't need a man to protect me or walk me home. I'll hold you to your word tomorrow to get my purse back."
She turned and continued down the pavement with Nikolai looking at her with newfound respect. She was even more exceptional now.

Turning he continued back to where Slash had parked the town car. He was sitting in the front and when Nikolai climbed in he was handed a purse.
"Where is he?"
"He wobbled away to get medical treatment," Slash chuckled darkly as he started the car.
"Take me to Penelope's Penelope. I need to see her."

The lights were on in the living room when Nikolai arrived. His mood darkened when he saw the black Escalade in the driveway. Her boyfriend was trespassing yet again.

I picked up the bouquet of roses I'd bought on the way and walked to the door. I rang the doorbell and waited. After a long time there was no answer so I let myself in and out of habit head to the kitchen only to stop dead in my path. Penelope was topless and grinding herself on Emilio's leg who in turn was whispering flighty things to my little sister. My protective instinct kicked in and blood roared in my ears.

"Jesus fucking Christ!"

The two rabbits drew apart and Emilio pulled up her nightgown to cover her exposed torso.

"What the hell are you doing here, Nikolai?" Penelope demanded.

"If you'd climb off his legs we could talk."

I turned away with a huff as he eased her off his thigh.

"I've to go change."

"Yeah you do that."

I fetch a case as soon as they left to put the roses in. I hates the fact that Emilio del Guardo was in my former home scandalizing my sister.
I heard footsteps behind me, heavier than Penelope.

"You know I don't believe I've said this but I don't like you," I murmured.
"If you had I wouldn't have recalled because I don't give a fuck."

"At least you have a sense of humor," I chuckled dryly. I turned to face him.
"What do you really want with my sister, hmm? I don't believe for one second that you really like her."

"I think Penelope would be highly pissed that you don't think she's worthy of a partner? Is it because while you were living your pathetic reclusive life she was being raped and maimed? You feel it's your right to subject her to a lonely meaningless life like you?"

His words really struck a nerve. "You talk of things you know nothing about."

His smikef was sneering. "Then we must have something in common. You don't have to a he me, Nikolai, and frankly I don't care because the feeling is mutual. Let's try to be civil for Penelope's sake, shall we."

"I think I'll decline," I told him.

"Do what you want, Nikolai. I think it's clear who Penelope wants here anyway."

Penelope came down the stairs a moment later and crossed her arm over her chest, her gaze heated with suppressed temper and her face impassive.
"Now what do you want?"