Trial- 11

Disclaimer: Unfortunately, these characters and photos don't belong to me.

(This was written last night and is unedited. Sorry for the crappy writing!)

(6/11/20 AN: I sincerely apologize to everyone I offend with this chapter. I've reread the chapter and am honestly disgusted with how poorly I handled the topic of rape. Again to everyone I've offended, I'm sorry)

Annabeth's POV
December 15th, Saturday , 2018

I took a seat next to my lawyer, Margaret Rosary. I wore simple black pants and a light purple wrap blouse with loose sleeves. Instead of putting it up, I left my hair down in its natural curls.

Percy sat directly behind me with a wooden low barrier separating us

Percy sat directly behind me with a wooden low barrier separating us. The rest of the group, including Rachel, Silena, Beckendorf, sat in the row as Percy. Percy's expression implied that he was uncomfortable in his dress clothes. He had on a black suit with a green tie hanging around his neck.

 He had on a black suit with a green tie hanging around his neck

(A/N: Bear with me, I know nothing about the court room.)

Some press came to the court because Luke became well-known in the music industry.

"Alright, letting call this meeting to order." The Judge announced as he sat down. He turned to face Luke, who kept his head lowered. "The defendant is accused of the illegal possession of a firearm, attempted assault, two counts of assault, two counts of attempted rape, and several counts of rape. Would the defense like to make their case?"

Luke's lawyer, a man named Ares La Rue, stood from his chair.

Before he could provide his case, Margaret interrupted. "Your Honor, before we begin; the DA would like to offer Mr. Castellan a plea deal."

"Go ahead, Ms. Rosary." The Judge replied. Ares flashed her a dirty look, but Margaret ignored him.

"If Mr. Castellan pleas guilty to all charges," Margaret started as she stood up. "The DA is offering fifteen years plus five years in a mental hospital."

Percy and I told the district attorney that Luke's family had a history of mental illnesses. If Luke did not take the plea deal and lost, he would be sent to prison for thirty years. The attorney took the history into account when making the deal.

After Margaret returned to her seat, Ares began with his case. A little while later, Margaret explained ours. Arguing went back and front behind the lawyers before Ares started calling people to the stand. Mostly people who knew or were at the party.

"The defense calls Annabeth Chase to the stand." Ares said to the court. Murmurs of the audience came from all around me.

When I sat in my seat, they made me swear on oath and the questioning began.

"Ms. Chase," Ares started to say. "You are eighteen, correct?"

"Yes," I responded simply.

"So legally, you're considered an adult?"

"That is correct?" I said with question in my voice. The jury members took my age into account.

"However," I started and watched as people's heads snapped in my direction. "The first time he tried to do it, I was sixteen and he was eighteen. Legally an adult at the time."

The audience mumbled to themselves and Ares sweated. Percy shook me a confused look. I mouthed later.

"Did Luke Castellan forcibly take you into the room or did you come willingly?" Ares asked.

I clenched my jaw. "Willingly."

Ares smiled as if he had won the case. "Do you think that you deserved what happened because of that?"

Both Luke and Percy gave Ares looks of disgust and pure hatred. Margaret stood up and slammed her hands on the table I originally sat at.

"Your Honor, that is preposterous!" She exclaimed. The audience talked among themselves.

"Order!" The Judge yelled and everyone stopped talking. "Ms. Chase, you do not have to answer the question."

"It's okay," I smiled at the judge. Then turned to Ares. "Mr. La Rue, you have a daughter, right?"

"Correct."

"Let's say that your daughter was in my position at the time." I started. "Unknowingly, drank spiked punch and alone. Her head not in right place and wondering around. Let's say that she had a secret someone knew about and used it against her. Tell me, do you think that your daughter deserved to be raped for having a secret?"

Ares licked his lips nervously. "No."

"Then why would someone else's daughter deserve the same fate?" I asked him and court. The room went completely silent.

"Thank you, Ms. Chase," the Judge said breaking the silence. "You may go back to your seat."

After a few more minutes of talking, Luke stood up. Everyone looked at him, confused.

"I plead guilty to all charges against me." Luke said and sat back down.

"With that, the court finds Luke Castellan guilty. He will spend five years in mental hospitalization and an additional fifteen in prison, with possibility of bail and parole." The Judge concluded banging his gavel.

Ares walked out of the courtroom and officers came over to Luke. I dashed over to Luke before they took him away. Percy following me.

"I'm sorry, Annabeth." Luke said to me as a tear trickled down his cheek. I wiped it away with my thumb.

"I forgive you," I smiled at him. "I'll visit you whenever I can."

Luke smiled sadly at me. "See you later, little alligator."

"After awhile, crocodile." I said back, my eyes watering. Relived I decided against wearing makeup for today.

The officers took Luke away and Percy wrapped me in a hug. We watched as Luke left before leaving ourselves.

—————

A/N: I actually cried writing the ending... Just like I cried when Luke died after killing Kronos. I actually really like Luke and don't see him as an evil character.

Word Count: 924 words