Dylan- 14

Disclaimer: Unfortunately, these characters and photos don't belong to me.

Wow... Over 550 reads! That's amazing!! Thank you guys!!

Unedited

Percy's POV
January 7th, Monday, 2019

"Alright, Cupcakes!" Coach Hedge yelled out to the students. "Today we're swordfighting. Unfortunately, the faculty doesn't offer real swords, so we're using plastics."

Leo snickered. "Wow, good to know that Gleeson wants us to kill each other."

Coach Hedge stared daggers at him. "Valdez! Thank you for volunteering."

The class laughed quietly as Leo sheepishly walked over to Hedge. Coach Hedge handed Leo a sword and brought out a wooden baseball bat.

"Here's how you do it, cupcakes!" Coach started showing us different techniques. Each time bringing Leo to the ground.

"Thankfully, this is the smallest class I have, so it won't take as long to pair you up." Coach yelled through his megaphone. "Jason and Piper, Dylan and Reyna, Frank and Gabbie, Leo and Penelope, Travis and Katie, Connor and Graclynn, Silena and Chris, Clarisse and Beckendorf, Will and Rachel, Drew and Octavian, Kelli and Thomas, Percy and Annabeth-"

"Percabeth." several students muttered under their breathes. Annabeth and I facepalmed.

"What? I wanna see 'em do something other than flirting," Coach said, making the class laugh. "Brian and Eric, and Luke and Steven."

"Uh, Coach?" Steven said sheepishly. "Luke doesn't go here anymore."

Annabeth, who was sitting next to me, caught her breath at the mention of Luke.

"Eh? Oh just work with Brian and Eric." Coach suggested. "Alright, grab your swords and partner. Then start your first match."

Annabeth regained some confidence and smirked. "Ever fought with a sword, Jackson?"

"Took sword fighting for five years before I started swimming." I said smugly. "You?"

"Been practicing with a dagger since I was fourteen." Annabeth replied, putting a sword and a twelve inch dagger out of the box. "So one year less than you have."

Annabeth handed me the sword. On the handle, there was a word: Riptide.

"Ready and fight!" Coach yelled blowing his whistle.

The sounds of the plastic weapons rang through the air, but my only focus was on Annabeth and I's fight. Both of us were able to discover each others techniques, strengths, and weaknesses. The fight contained a combination of swinging, jabbing, and blocking. It was a dance of violence, no one able to overpower the other.

"Stop!" Coach Hedge yelled, bringing Annabeth and I to a pause. Everyone was facing us.

"Damn it Coach!" Leo shouted, gaining everyone's attention. "Why did you end that? It was getting good!"

***(Timeskip to after Gym, in the locker room)

I quickly ran into the locker room to change without any questions about the scars and bruises. Gabe's beatings became more frequent, ranging from one to two times a day.