Thirteen | Colors

Calem and I arrived back to Ambrette Town not long after we left Glittering Cave. The trip there was just a huge waste of our time; the fact that we didn't learn anything new made this entire day a complete waste in all honesty. Team Flare was something we never heard of before, which was what we encountered in the cave, but it wasn't our intentions. What I found suspicious was their presence in the cave to begin with. Something about them was off; maybe they were up to no good, but we'd never know.

While browsing through the Town Map, I located a shortcut that led directly to Cyllage City from Ambrette Town. The whole trip took less than an hour, which sort of lifted everyone's spirit. I was so happy that I practically skipped all the way to the Pokémon Center, which earned me a few weird looks from Calem and Shauna. The automatic doors parted as I stepped on the black matt, allowing me entrance to the air-conditioned building.

After handing my Pokémon and leaving them in Nurse Joy's care, I made my way over to Calem. However, my eyes fell upon a familiar yellow reptilian that stood behind the black-haired boy. Its large blue eyes watched me as I approached it. Calem was confused until he turned around and saw the wild Pokémon with his own eyes. I knelt down to take a closer look at it.

"Did you follow us all the way over here?" I asked it. The Helioptile nodded. Well, that's kind of impressive.

"Is that the Helioptile from Route 9?" Calem asked as he knelt down next to me and gave the Pokémon a friendly pat on the head.

"It has to be," I answered, placing my messenger bag down next to me. "But why is it all the way out here?"

"Maybe it likes you," he suggested as he stood up. We both watched as it walked over to my messenger bag.

"Huh, weird." I shot Calem a confused look. "I didn't even know wild Pokémon could behave that way. It barely met me, so how does it already like me?"

"I'm not an expert in this kind of field, but something I've noticed since we first met is that Pokémon like you a lot." Calem smiled, but it only confused me more.

"I don't follow," I confessed.

"You love and care for your Pokémon, right?" he asked. I nodded to confirm his question. "It's probably this instinct present in all of us, but maybe wild Pokémon can pick up on your nurturing mannerism. They feel protected and cared for just being around you."

My gaze dropped to my hands as I thought about what he just said. Never had it occurred to me that Pokémon found me approachable. My dream as a child was to become a Pokémon Trainer alongside my brother and take on the world with our Pokémon. While my dream sounded like it'd be hard work and strength, I also wanted to take care of my Pokémon because, in some weird way, they were family.

With that in mind, a sudden thought occurred to me. Perhaps I treated my Pokémon, or Pokémon in general, that way I did was because I was so used to treating my brother like that. When he was first born, I would often help Mom take care of him. That mannerism never changed even as I grew older and I became the protective older sister who kept him out of harm's way. I'd treat his wounds whenever he got hurt, help him with school assignments, and played with him whenever his friends couldn't. My brother meant the world to me and I'd have done anything to protect him.

My mannerism still hasn't changed, even now that he's gone.

"... Well, maybe I'm not as mean as I make myself out to be."

The wall that kept my memories from back then seemed to crack the more I talked or even thought about it. I didn't want that wall I worked so hard to create to crumble down in a matter of minutes. What happened in the past couldn't be changed, yet I always found myself wishing it could. It hurt remembering his face, his contagious laughter, his beautiful smile...