Fifteen | The Voice Returns

I was the kind of person who was opened to learning new things. As long as the lecture was delivered to keep the person intrigued, I was all in. Of course, Professor Sycamore's lecture on Mega Evolution was very boring, but the one given to us was just as boring, which was quite unfortunate. It felt long before the lecture had come to an end.

"Woah!" Shauna exclaimed in surprise. "You mean a Pokémon evolves, but then it goes back to what it was before?'

"Yes, Mega Evolution is a special kind of evolution," The Mega Evolution Guru confirmed.

"That said, we still know very little about it. What we know now is that it requires special items and the most important element is the trust between Pokémon and trainer," Korrina added.

"So, you mean like the bond formed in which that trust is built upon?" I asked, just to make sure I got that right. Korrina nodded, confirming my question.

"To make Mega Evolution work, you need a Mega Stone for the Pokémon and a Mega Ring which has a mysterious stone set in it for the trainer," the Mega Evolution Guru explained further.

If I understood correctly through the dreaded lecture, Mega Evolution was a transformation that only occurred during battle. It only happened to very few Pokémon, making it an equally rare occurrence. In addition, a strong bond was needed in order to trigger the transformation. A Mega Stone was also required that correspond to the specific Pokémon that could even perform the transformation to begin with while the trainer needed the Mega Ring to activate it.

My eyes perked up as a sudden thought occurred to me. I reached into my bag and fished out a velvet sack that contained two jewels in them. When I opened it, I tipped it over and allowed the two jewels to drop on the palm of my hand. I got one in Santalune City when Teresa allowed me to take care of Combusken when he was still a Torchic. The other one I got was from Professor Sycamore himself when I received Ivysaur as a Bulbasaur back in his lab at Lumiose City.

Was this planned for me since the very beginning?

"Since Professor Sycamore entrusted each one of you with a PokéDex, I would like to give these items to all of you... but, well..."

He looked over at his granddaughter for help. By the way his eyebrows furrowed, I had a feeling there was a catch.

"What my old man is trying to say is that he would want all of you to have a Mega Ring, but there's only one," Korrina explained in place of her grandfather, who sighed with relief.

"It's a very precious item," he informed us in a concerned manner. "That's why my research isn't getting anywhere. That's why I want all of you to decide among yourselves which one of you will be the one who challenges the Mega Evolution successor."

I knew it; there was always a catch with things like this. Although, I guess it was expected considering research on Mega Evolution was difficult. However, I was almost positive I was the only one here who even had Mega Stones. It was selfish for me to want the Mega Ring for myself, but I also had goals. A Mega Ring at my disposal would help me and my Pokémon go far.

Glancing at my fellow PokéDex holders, I noticed how they all looked at one another awkwardly. My gaze hardened a little, finding it a little unbelievable they wanted it just as much as I did, but said nothing about it. Were they even aware about the responsibilities such a treasure held?

"I'll pass," Tierno spoke up, capturing everyone's attention. "Pokémon battling isn't really my scene."

"Me too," Shauna declined. Everyone suddenly looked over at her. "It would be a cool memory and it does look interesting, but..."