Twenty Nine | Bittersweet Resolution

It was a satisfying victory knowing that my uncle was defeated by my hands. There was more I wanted to do as a way to torment him, but I wouldn't stoop down so low. As long as he had no control over Xerneas, Lysandre was finished for good.

Calem and Shauna ran up to me as I returned Venusaur back into his PokéBall so he could rest. They congratulated me for beating Lysandre, which admittedly inflated my ego just a little bit. What could I say? I liked being noticed for my talent.

"Hey, I've been wondering something." Shauna gave me a puzzled expression. "Why'd you call him Uncle Lysandre?"

Before I had the chance to answer her, a frustrated growl captured my attention. Lysandre stomped on his techno glasses repeatedly in order to take out his anger.

"It's all over," he mumbled bitterly as he slowly stopped stomping on his glasses. "Fools with no vision will continue to plague this beautiful world. They will go on until the only thing left to do is squabble over the scraps of hope..."

"Um... Know what I think?" Shauna began to approach Lysandre with Calem and I following close behind. "Even if there's only a little bit of something, it's still best to share it. I mean... even you managed to use Mega Evolution."

"That's right," Calem agreed with his sister. "Pokémon and humans were meant to live side by side."

As they kept the conversation going, I decided to take a look around here. The whole place was a mess from the battle, which wasn't surprising considering it was a battle between two strong Mega Evolved Pokémon. However, one thing I noticed was Xerneas's absence. She must've escaped sometime during the battle for her safety. It was for the best.

"Xerneas fled for good. There's no way for you to use the Ultimate Weapon anymore," I informed my uncle. The way he appeared crestfallen made me soften for a split second. "You don't have to worry about the future all by yourself. People will soon realize that they should make the world more brilliant than what it already is."

"If that were possible, all wars would've ended long ago!" my uncle snapped. I sighed a little at his concern.

"That's not true..." I mumbled sternly as my hands clenched into fists.

"How so?" Lysandre challenged.

"Sheer experience." I looked up at him with a sad smile. "I may not be out there fighting physical wars, but I had my fair share of battles. Think about how I ended up here. I fought with myself trying to forget my past because I hated it with all my being, but it was a never-ending war that put a strain on me. All it did was make things worse, but..."

I looked over at Calem and Shauna, which filled me with gratitude for the two people who've stayed with me since the beginning of my journey.

"I was fortunate enough for my friends and their willingness to help me through it all. Thanks to them, I was able to make it this far." I looked back at Lysandre with a stern expression. "Everyone goes through their own battles, but it's up to them whether they want to win or lose."

Lysandre closed his eyes in defeat. "I only kept my eyes on the future; one where selfish, foolish humans think about nothing other than themselves and steal more from another. However, what you just told me had changed my perspective."

Maybe there was hope for a man like him after all.

"You see, the original purpose of his device was to bring a Pokémon back to life," my uncle revealed.