Epilogue

Humans decide what path they wished to follow and steered themselves in that direction, no matter how destructive it may be. The past they experienced could play a role in that decision, but that wasn't the case for some. They go through experience, through emotions from those experiences, and cope with those experiences by their own discretion. In the end, humans decide what path they walk on for the rest of their lives.

My dad was a prime example of how one could fall victim to their own journey of ambition; he was able to chase after his dream at the cost of the family that loved him to pieces. Along with Uncle Lysandre, their actions from their pasts causes great destruction to the present. I wanted to loathe them with every part of my being for what they had done, but sometimes it was best to let go and move on.

This journey of mine taught me how to do that, and ironically enough, they played a part in that. I'd forever be grateful to them for that because I was no longer chained down to the memories of the past.

"I guess you did one thing right after all, Dad," I mumbled.

I knelt down in front of a small grave located near the outskirts of Santalune City. When my uncle told me about my dad's death, I did my best to try and find where he had been buried. It wasn't out of love or for me to tell him that I forgave him because that wasn't going to happen for a long time, but rather to finally close this chapter of my life for good.

While I accepted the tragic event that happened during my childhood, I was most certainly not going to forget. He was the reason our family fell apart for the longest of time. I was shocked when I found out about his death, but I felt nothing. Not a single tear was shed nor did my heart crack. It was cold-hearted of me to not have mourned the man I always called a dad. Unfortunately, we couldn't change what happened. What's done was done.

I took out the wilted white lilies from the vase and replaced them with fresh and healthy lilies. Adam asked me to do this for him and it was hard saying no to him. Had he not asked, I wouldn't have even bothered. After arranging the lilies nicely, I stood up and stared down at Dad's grave with a solemn expression. No tears, no sad smiles, no sincerity, nothing... What was there left to do?

The chilly morning breeze flew by, causing my now longer locks of caramel-colored hair to sway. I brought my hand up and tucked a curled section behind my ear. My eyes lingered on the name engraved with gold letters.

"Sissy!"

Adam's familiar voice rang in my ears, making me tear my gaze from the headstone and look over my shoulder. My little brother stood there and my mom was with him. Both were wearing fancy attire just like me. Mom wore her favorite navy blue dress that had an elegant slit on the side of her leg. Her hair was in tight curls and her makeup was minimal. Adam was decked in a black tuxedo with a blue dress shirt underneath. His lengthy brown hair was combed back neatly.

He had spent months in a rehabilitation center trying to regain his strength and reach the normal healthy body teenage boys had. While his treatment was still undergoing, the doctors were able to clear him for this special day. My little brother had pulled through and survived the excruciating pain my dad and uncle put him through. It felt so surreal to hold him in my arms like I had done when we were children.

We were brought together once again, but my dad was gone for good. This was all I wanted for the past five years of my life. If my dad were alive right now, before he chose his ambitions, it would've been perfect.