Twenty Three | Mixed Signals

Our Pokémon came out of the battle completely unscathed. The same couldn't be said about the Team Flare scientists. They watched with frustration as their fainted Pokémon slid across the room. Both returned their Pokémon, muttering incoherent words under their breath. That's what happened when try-hards underestimated us.

I returned Heliolisk back into his PokéBall, Calem doing the same with his Vaporeon. Looking up at the Team Flare scientists, I was greeted with hostile anger. Jeez, I never took Team Flare to be a bunch of sore losers.

"Oh my, oh my?" Bryony growled.

"So lame! What a shame! We got beat!" Celosia tugged at her purple locks with a scowl.

"Now do you idiots know not to underestimate a couple of teenagers?" I taunted with my arms crossed over my chest.

"Enough already" Celosia screeched, dropping her arms to her sides. She looked over at Bryony. "We've already stolen the PokéBalls, Great Balls, and Ultra Balls. Let's call it good and leave."

Bryony nodded in agreement and the two of them ran out of the door. Neither of us could stop them because they were out of sight in a matter of minutes. Something I learned about Team Flare was that they were awful at battling, but very good and running away. For an evil organization, they were the least threatening people I've ever met.

I heard a pair of footsteps approach us, causing me to look away from the opened door. The old man, or rather the company's president, wore a grateful smile.

"You saved us." He bowed at the waist. "Thank you so much! You're outstanding Pokémon Trainers for being so young."

"Um, sir... I'm eighteen years old." Calem then motioned toward me. "She's seventeen, probably nearing eighteen. We're not that young."

"Mhm," I hummed in agreement. "Also, please don't bow. It's kind of weird."

"Of course, very well then." He stood up straight and held his head high. "I want to show you my appreciation."

He motioned for us to follow him at his desk. I rose an eyebrow and glanced at Calem, who only shrugged in response. We approached his desk and watched the man pull something out from the bottom drawer. It was a small box that resembled a treasure chest, most likely an antique. He pulled out a key from his pocket and unlocked it.

The man opened the chest and faced it toward Calem and me, revealing the four items stored inside. Three of those items were Big Nuggets the size of golf balls. The fourth item was one I've only ever heard myths about: the Master Ball.

"I'll give you a Master Ball or a Big Nugget. Pick whichever one you'd like," he offered.

As much as the Big Nuggets would be a great financial investment, I was set on getting the Master Ball. There was less than one percent left in the world and for good reason; it captured any Pokémon without fail. Imagine how bad it would've been if those Team Flare scientists got hold of something like this. Besides, I had a gut feeling it would be useful in the near future.

Calem went for one of the Big Nuggets and I grabbed the Master Ball. Just like any other PokéBall, it shrunk to a small size. I put it away in an empty compartment of my bag, making a mental note to take good care of it. Calem put his Big Nugget away in his pocket.