55

"I've known you for ten years

"I've known you for ten years." Bucky Barnes muttered quietly, his icy blue eyes staring at the table intensively, unlike my startled, yellow ones.

I waited patiently, not moving a muscle. I tried to analyse his sentence, tried to regocnise his angular face and those piercing, cold eyes that refused to meet mine. I couldn't see his eyes, therefor, I didn't know was he lying or saying the truth. The man was tense, but he continued.

"I don't remember much. But I remember you... you were brought in as a kid. I think, no, no, I know you used to laugh back then. Most of it is still quite foggy." the man chuckled sadly as he raised his eyes from the floor.

I could see him struggling, but for my sake, he lowered his sky high walls and let his emotions shine through his icy eyes. Whatever emotion that his blue orbs held, caught me so off guard he mustve seen the surprise on my face. The cold, icy orbs were shattered, sadness and years of tiredness had cracked the stoic facade. There was so much sadness, quilt and self-hatred hidden behind his stony expression I could hardly understand how he was still functioning.

"I was your mentor back then, you were intelligent, and they knew your parents personally. At least, that's what I had gathered from their talks. That's why they chose you as their play-thing. Somehow, someway, you were the only child whose body accepted the serums they injected you with. It was Winter Soldier who trained you most of the time. But in a way, I am him, and he will always be me. It doesn't matter how much I loathe it. That thing will always sink its claws into my brain." he growled the last part in disgust, looking back down, hiding his broken eyes from me.

I couldn't remeber him, and that frustrated me the most. Why couldn't I remeber my own mentor? Why couldn't I remeber Winter Soldier? Why couldn't I remeber Bucky?
I balled my hands into fists, feeling my claws pierce the pale skin.

"I'm so sorry. We were in the same cell for years, Soldat had started seeing you as his own, I protected and trained you. And then, one day, they took you away. Like always, they said nothing, didn't even warn us. They just came, pulled you from your blankets and just like that you disappeared. I don't... I don't remeber what happened then, but when I woke up again, I was chained and beaten down, in a newer, more secure cell. I tried to tell myself to stop caring, that you were probably dead. But without even realising, I had started snooping around for hints, for reasons why they took you away and where exactly. I just... You reminded me of someone I once knew. Losing you was like opening an old wound all over again. I just... I couldn't let them take that one person who mattered. I'm so sorry I couldn't find you. Apparently, you found me again." he breathed, a gentle smile tugging at his lips.

He was so relaxed, as if the weight of the world had been lifted from his tired shoulders, as if he had been realised from the bonds pulling him down for an eternity.

My insides were churning and I could feel the blood draining from my face. Why couldn't I remeber this man from my past? Why couldn't I remeber him, Bucky? Yet I knew he was telling the truth, his eyes didn't lie. And the relief I could sense from him, wasn't the one a liar would give off. He stood up slowly, concern flashing through his eyes?