Chapter Nine

The two of them were sitting on a park table, the darkness coating the world around them. Nobody was there except them. Cana couldn't believe that Mirajane was actually here with her. Mirajane giggled melodiously and Cana had to force herself not to blush at the sound. It was simply adorable. That was what she loved about Mirajane. She could easily mix her badass-ness and compassion. It made it practically impossible to predict what the girl was going to do. That was good for someone who was good at strategic games. She liked being surprised. Mirajane was good at that. Really good. "I'm definitely going to have to make fun of the kid later." She said aloud, turning her thoughts from her probably super obvious crush on the white-haired girl. "Cana, that's rude." Mirajane didn't seem too upset, however, as she grinned at the card Mage. "Mir, what about me makes you think I'm anything but rude?" She asked in a playful, flirtatious tone. She was probably taking it too far as she leaned forward against the table towards Mirajane. She couldn't find it in her to stop at the moment, however. "Well, you're sweet with Wendy. I see the way you take care of her! Don't deny it!" Cana huffed playfully and Mirajane shook her head sufferingly. "You're really kind... you just don't want anyone else to know. Unfortunately for you, I notice." Cana felt her breath hitch. Not only had the words caught her off guard... but Mirajane was leaning towards her slowly but surely. Cana's brain was short-circuiting at their proximity. She actually thought that Mirajane was leaning closer still... Cana found herself speaking before she could stop herself. "It's nothing compared to you. You're so loving and caring no matter what people do. You've given people chance upon chance without a second thought. You see the best in everybody... even a drunk like me." She looked down. Of course Mirajane hadn't been leaning forward. Of course Mirajane didn't like her. She was perfection incarnate... and Cana was just that. Cana. She looked up and was met by those startlingly blue eyes yet again. "Sometimes you don't have to look too far for the best in people. Sometimes people just aren't willing to look beyond the surface." Cana's breath caught and she wasn't completely certain how to breathe anymore as she looked at Mirajane. She didn't know why she had asked Mirajane to come. Had she really thought she could take it? Rookie mistake. Cana was certain Mirajane was moving forward now. She couldn't find it within herself to even blink as Mirajane's lips slowly connected with her own. Cana was certain her eyes would have popped out of their sockets had she opened them any wider. Mirajane's eyes were closed and her hand slowly cupped Cana's cheek. Cana felt Mirajane start to move back suddenly and she realized that she hadn't even moved the whole time. She made up for that now, leaning forward with her whole body. Mirajane made a surprised sound and Cana smiled into their kiss. About damn time.

•••

When the two pulled away, Mirajane had a triumphant grin on her face while Cana was still shocked. "You look so cute when you're flustered." Mirajane giggled as she said the words. When Cana heard her speak, she was shaken from her trance. "Did you just... did we just..?" Mirajane giggled again and nodded. "Yes, yes I believe we just did." She said. "Do you k-" Whatever Mirajane had been about to say was silenced as Cana leaned forward and connected their lips again. Mirajane's eyes widened and Cana laughed as she kissed her. When she pulled back she was the one with the triumphant look while Mirajane was shocked. "I've wanted to do that for as long as I can remember," Cana breathed with a grin. Mirajane looked disbelieving. "But I thought it was Mating Season..." she muttered, frowning. "Mating what?" Cana asked, giving Mirajane a seriously concerned look. Mirajane blushed and looked away. "I'll explain later." She evaded. Cana was far too euphoric from their first kiss to honestly care too much at the moment. "How long have you liked me?" Mirajane asked as if it was the most important question in the world. Cana blushed and looked away. "About a year." She muttered. Mirajane looked like a kid on Christmas morning. "So it wasn't just Mating Season that made you realize..." She threw her arms around Cana and hugged her tightly. "Hey, Mir... can't breath!" Cana choked out. Mirajane instantly let go, blushing as she looked down. "How about you?" Cana asked, getting her breath back quickly. Perhaps she had been a bit overly dramatic a moment ago, but that was part of her charm! Mirajane gave her a blank look. "How long have you liked me?" She asked with a smirk. Mirajane blushed a bit harder. "About ten months." Cana looked aghast. "Ten months?! Two whole months after I started liking you?! How could you?!" Cana grinned as Mirajane rolled her eyes in exasperation. Mirajane took a step towards Cana and grabbed onto her hand, making the black-haired girl blush suddenly. "Let's get going. Lisanna will be worried by now." She started walking and Cana tripped after a moment before starting to follow after her like a lost puppy. "Maybe if you're good I'll tell you what I was talking about earlier," Mirajane said, smirking. Cana pouted at that, sighing after she saw it would be ineffective. "Lisanna's my sister. I'm pretty sure your puppy dog eyes don't measure up." She said with a smile. Cana rolled her eyes and started to hold her hands up in defeat. That is until she remembered that her right hand was being held in Mirajane's. She blushed again and Mirajane laughed that beautiful melodious laugh of hers. "Come on!" She said with a smile. Cana pushed the blush from her face and came up beside Mirajane. Cana started swinging their hands as they walked and Mirajane looked back at her and suddenly grinned. Looked like Cana had done good. Damn. I could get used to this.