Chapter Nineteen

A/N: HAPPY THANKSGIVING! Sadly, I won't be updating tomorrow (sorry!) but here's the chapter for tomorrow! Hope you all have a great Thanksgiving!

Wendy set the final plate down and smiled, looking around at the dining room. She was proud that she had gotten all this together so quickly. Of course she had had the help of Chelia and Carla. "WenWen, where do I put this?" Chelia asked, holding a small vase of flowers. Wendy frowned. "Umm... I don't even know where you found that. I don't have flowers." She said, eyeing the flowers with confusion. "I bought them! Silly WenWen." She shook her head and laughed a bit. Wendy blushed at the pink-haired girl's words. "Thanks, Chelly." She said, giving her a thankful look before setting the vase gently beside the window. The two had a moment and Wendy was about to give her a quick kiss, something that still made her entire stomach erupt with butterflies, but Carla cleared her throat and the two girls jumped, blushing and looking away from each other. "I believe they should be here any second," Carla said, looking at the clock on the wall. "Well, Erza and Lucy will, but some of the others might be late," Wendy said with a giggle. "Especially Natsu and Gray. What were we thinking, WenWen?! Those two can't be together! They'll never get anywhere on time!" Chelia said the last part with fake horror and Wendy laughed loudly at the girl's joke. It was quite true. The two seemed so different, especially considering the whole 'fire and ice' thing, but they really were quite alike in most situations. There was a knock at the door and Chelia skipped over to answer it.

•••

"Welcome!" The pink-haired girl said as she opened the door. Erza and Lucy were standing there hand in hand with Lucy's head set on Erza's shoulder. Wendy couldn't see who was behind the door. Her field of vision was blocked. She didn't hear a response and suddenly her heart started beating faster. What if someone's here to hurt Chelia? What if they take her away?! She's mine! Wendy thought as she made her way to the door with great haste. She wrapped a protective arm around Chelia's waist and looked out, finding two of her fellow Team Natsu members standing out there. She suddenly realized just how silly those thoughts had been. Like someone would kidnapped Chelia. Of course they wouldn't... but for some reason Wendy found she didn't want to let go of her girlfriend. "Hi!" Wendy greeted with a wave, allowing them to walk in. Erza wrapped her arm around Lucy's shoulders and came in, eyes surveying the apartment swiftly, looking as if she was checking for something or someone dangerous. When she didn't spot any, she looked confused, wondering why she had reacted so oddly. Chelia glanced at Wendy and found the girl looking a bit off. She still looked like her normal happy and carefree self, but she still looked... different. Like she was waiting for something bad to happen. It worried Chelia for a moment before she remembered what Mirajane had told them about alphas. Wendy was supposed to become protective... overly so, it seemed. Wendy offered the two girls some appetizers while Chelia thought about what was happening. She had always been a bit gifted at seeing social cues that were lost upon others. Erza was being overly protective as well, her eyes surveying the room approximately every twenty seconds. She still had yet to let go of Lucy during the whole time they were here, which wouldn't be odd considering Mating Season, but Lucy had relaxed her hold on Erza's hand and didn't look quite as affected by the Season's affects. That meant that it was Erza initiating the contact, something that the girl clearly didn't do too often. Chelia didn't know her too well, but she knew that for sure. Erza wasn't a touchy feely kind of person, yet here she was. That was more than enough evidence for Chelia, and really anyone else that would have been paying attention to the requipping Mage. That meant that the alphas were all starting to become effected by their symptoms. Chelia's eyes widened a bit. That could spell out disaster if they weren't careful. Too many over-protective alphas in the same room tonight. Wendy glanced at her with confused eyes, but Chelia waved her off with a small hand gesture that most would have missed. She needn't worry Wendy... in fact, perhaps it would be a bad idea to worry Wendy... she was being quite protective after all.