Chapter Twenty-Seven

Wendy sniffed the air. They were getting closer... it was their second day of searching for their Mates and Wendy felt they'd never find them. Of course that didn't mean she'd give up. She'd never give up. None of them would. She looked to the side and caught sight of the looks on the other's faces. They had looks that matched Wendy's own. Determination.

<><><>

"They're making great time! They should be here in about a day." All the Mates exchanged looks at what Smith had said to them only moments before. "What happens when they get here, Smith?" Erza asked. "Well, they have to get you back." The man said it as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. "And how exactly do they do that?"

<><><>

Mirajane led them to the left slightly and her eyes widened. "I know where they are." Wendy's heart was about to beat out of her chest. Mirajane sped up and the others did the same to keep up. Wendy caught sight of a cave miles and miles away. She sniffed the air and she knew that had to be where they were. "The cave." Mirajane and Wendy said the two words at the same time and the white-haired Mage gave her a look, as if wondering how she knew they were there. Wendy didn't respond to the silent question, instead looking ahead. They were almost there. She could hear Carla panting above her and looked up with worried eyes. "Carla, we're almost there." Wendy used a bit of her magic to heal the Exceed from her fatigue. They still had many a mile to go.

<><><>

An alarm went off for a moment and Smith jumped. "They're close?! They shouldn't be close! They shouldn't be here yet! No one gets here that fast!" Smith sounded worried. "Alright! We need to figure out the order of rescue... you guys do that while I go get the rest ready." Smith sunk into the shadows and the others looked at each other. "I think Freed should go first because Laxus would destroy the whole place if he can't find him." Chelia spike up first. The others all looked at her before rolling their eyes simultaneously. The rest of them got into a circle and started talking. Chelia pouted and tried to listen in, but she couldn't hear. They suddenly dispersed and nodded as if it had been decided. "Hey! What did you guys say?" Chelia asked, sighing. "We decided the order," Erza said. "Well what is it?!" Chelia asked. Erza didn't respond, instead making her way out of the room to find Smith. Chelia watched her go with incredulity. "What?!" Chelia asked, turning to the rest of the people in the room. Cana flopped onto the couch. "Guess if I'm staying here a while I might as well get comfortable." She said before sprawling out. Chelia assumed that meant she had to be one of the last ones, if not the last.

•••

Erza found Smith and told him the order they had picked. Smith nodded and wrote it down with a scrawling handwriting.

<><><>

Wendy dropped to the ground, cradling an exhausted Carla in her arms as she did so. The others appeared beside her and she marched towards he cave with a slow yet purposeful pace. It wouldn't help Chelia if she was reckless and got caught in some sort of trap before she could save her. No, definitely not. Natsu was about to start charging in, but Lucy grabbed onto his scarf, causing him to stop mid-step. Natsu grumbled at the blonde before crawling to his feet. "We have to be level-headed if we're going to get our Mates back, Natsu." This time it was the Lightning Dragon Slayer that spoke, giving the Fire one a side eye. Natsu sighed but nodded, following the others down the small entrance into the cave. Wendy was impressed he was handling it so well. She hadn't expected him to be so calm about it all... Well, perhaps she had spoken too soon. She really should watch and make sure he didn't do anything profoundly stupid and reckless... like usual. Wendy took a deep breath and caught the scent of her Mate. She was close. All the sudden Wendy found it hard not to sprint in and try to find her. What if she was hurt? What if Wendy didn't get there in time? Wendy took a deep, steady breath. She continued to walk with purpose, not speeding up despite how greatly she wished to. She imagined when Chelia had put her hand on her leg, calming her during that game of Uno. She'd get her back. Of course she would. There was no alternative. There was no backup plan. There was no other option. Wendy was going to get Chelia back.