Chapter 3

"Sure" Nico Said. He didn't seem annoyed.

"Sally Jackson" I said. I didn't take my eyes off his.

He looked down and then his face grew pitiful. No, no bad thoughts. He'll just confirm that the police were wrong.

"Dead" He said. I felt everything blur around me. No, no. How? Why was she killed? She was the most innocent person I knew.

"Percy? Percy? Percy?" I heard someone call. I look up to see the call with Nico still on.

"Please tell me your lying" I softly said. A small wave of hope within me rises.

"Sorry Percy, she's dead. Did she mean something to you?" He asked.

Nico seemed relax a bit and face Percy, with a look of concern. "Yeah, she was my mom." I replied. He nodded and watch as I cried.

I wanted to be alone. "T-t-thanks Nico, I could use some alone time" I said.

"Sure Percy, call me back sometime to talk. I want to ask you something" He said before he dropped the call.

I started to leave my cabin. I looked back at my trail of tears and I waved my hand, shakily drying it.

I left through a back window then began to exit the way I came.

My mind slowly began to process the fact that she was dead. As each moment passed by, the heavier I felt. All I wanted to do is cry. Be alone and cry.

I then finally left camp, and then started walking through the grass by the road. I didn't try to go fast, I just slowly walked, stared as the grass got misshapen.

I didn't know what to think. During my battles I was motivated by mom. I lived for her. Without her here I don't feel a reason to return to my battles.

So now what? The police are looking for me. Should I just run away? I doubt anyone would take me in, considering my record.

If I run away, I'll have the police looking for me. I really wanted to get my stuff from the apartment, but I couldn't.

Not only because of the police, but because of the memories. Moms blue cookies, her smile. Without mom there, I felt some void within me. She was my motivation, and now without her, things aren't the same.

I began walking towards the city in the dark. I didn't bother looking up, at the passing cars. I kept my head down, and kept walking.

Time seemed to pass by faster, probably because all I thought of was mom's death. I couldn't get it off my mind.

Soon I began seeing the gum stuck sidewalk of New York again. It was probably late at night considering the empty roads. I look up to see bright lights and then I immediately looked down as my eyes burned.

I didn't realize how empty I felt. I didn't even have the mood to make a joke. My mom, my everything, was gone.

I kept walking until a police car pulled up. "Hey where have you been kid?" Asked that stalker from earlier.

"Went on a walk" I mumbled.

"Alright, hop into the car, we gotta get you to the station" He said.

"Why" I asked. They were really annoying me now. Can't they tell I want to be alone.

"We need to figure out where your going to stay" The officer said. He then walked out the car and opened the door. "Your going to have to sort this out at some point, might as well now"

There was no outrunning this officer. It was a  open road and he'd just start using force.

I sat into the car and didn't dare look up. What should I do? Become some missing kid and hide out in camp? Maybe. Mom didn't have anymore relatives so I'm probably going to get stuck in an orphanage.

Soon the officer parked in front of the station and followed me as we walked in.

"Come over here" He said as he directed me towards the office again.

I quietly walked over and sat down in a chair. I felt Riptide and was really tempted to take it out and vent out on something.

I kept myself out and stayed in the office. It felt weird, they kept treating me as some kid.

I suppose with my record it would make sense. I found it surprising that they let me walk around alone.

Soon some other guy came in with a laptop. "Hello Percy, how are you?" He also had pity in his voice, great.

"Fine" I said. I wanted to get out of here and be back at camp.

"Your mother has no relatives that can take you in, Paul's family does not want to have you under their custody. There isn't much information on your father." He explained. "Before we put kids into an orphanage we do an DNA test to see if there's any more relatives. Perhaps we could find out more about your dad."

I wouldn't mind them doing a DNA test, but god knows what they'll find if they do mine. Would half the DNA be missing? I couldn't risk it.

"I'm not comfortable with that" I said. I put on the innocent and I don't want to face. Hopefully they'd move on and put me in some orphanage.

"Sorry kiddo" I hated being called a kid. "It's mandatory to do before we place you in an orphanage. The orphanages are getting full. We have to be 100% sure there isn't anyone else that could take care of you."

I was ready to leave when I saw a doctor with a cotton swab beside me. The door out the office was closed. Oh no.

I began to tense, I didn't want them to do that. Annabeth mentioned that if the government found out about us, they'd love to run tests on us. I began to get out of my seat, but felt two rough hands keep be down. I look behind me to see an officer holding me down. Great.