Chapter 18

Adrian, there he was sitting on his desk facing the grand window. He was hunched over, she quietly walked towards him.

"Adrian?" Scarlett tapped his shoulder, he suddenly lifted his head and looked at her. His eyes were glossy.

"Adrian, what's wrong?" She knelt down in front of him.

He looked towards the window not answering her question. Scarlett was still holding onto his hands.

"I know you told me not to go looking for you, but I was lost. Too many things are happening right now. I need you." She bellowed out to him, he looked back at her.

"Scarlett," was all he said, he wanted to continue but something was stopping him, he was hesitating to speak.

"Adrian, please say something." She began to beg. He turned his body to face her tightened his grip on her hands a little.

"Ever since father died, I feel like I have lost a piece of myself." His voice was breaking, it was hard for him to speak. Scarlett listened to him, understanding what he feels like.

"I can not take on such a responsibility, taking care of the council and all. I don't want to risk anyone's lives, I'm not a born leader. There's too much pressure on me." He sighed and rubbed his forehead. "You know, Amanda told me that I am a coward."

"You're not a coward." Scarlett said firmly.

"But she's right." He said opening his eyes wider. "I am a coward, I am scared that when I do take my father's position, I will get killed. Or my mother will get killed."

"But why?" Scarlett asked. Adrian motioned for her to sit on the bed and she did, he stayed on his desks' chair.

"Werewolves and vampires were friends, since we both are supernatural and face the same situation of turning into creatures that are harmful to humans we shared a common understanding. But all of that changed. And ever since Amanda made the stupid mistake of killing the pack leader's daughter, Leah, they promised to get back at us." He explained.

Scarlett thought in her head, 'But didn't they get back when they killed your father?'

"You're right." Adrian commented and Scarlett was startled, he read her mind and answered her question. "But they want to hurt us even more."

"That's were I come in." She finally said. "I'm a mediator, and I agreed to help your mother." Adrian stared at her.

"Are you crazy!" He exclaimed. "Do you want to get yourself killed? Do your parents know about this?"

She nodded.

"Do they know you're here?" He asked seriously. She didn't reply.

"Well, I told them that I would be gone away, but I didn't exactly tell them where." She said with guilt.

"I'm taking you back." He said getting up and putting his leather jacket on.

"What? No!" I came all this way with William and now you're telling me that we're going back!" She said angry with him.

"I don't care what you say, you're going back with me." He grabbed his keys to a red old Ford Thunderbird.

"But, I came all the way out here for you to help me. And I intended to do it outside of Nightshade." Scarlett said strongly

"I.Don't.Care." He said one last time. "I'll be waiting for you outside." He stormed out the room. As he left wind had picked up a slip of paper and it fell down to Scarlett's feet. She picked it up and just when she was about to pick it up, she heard a loud thud downstairs.