Chapter 13

The week went by very quickly for Scarlett, Eric and Ethan got closer friends with each other as well as Scarlett. During geography Scarlett asked to go to the washroom, "Yes Scarlett?" Ms. Williams asked. 

"Can I go to the washroom?" She asked and Ms. Williams nodded. While she went down the hall she met Ryan from grade 12. 

"Hey." He greeted, happy to see Scarlett. 

"Hi." She smiled. "Where are you headed?" 

"Fitness." He replied. She raised her eyebrows. 

"That's good.  I was just gonna go to the washroom." She said. 

"Actually, I had to ask you something." Ryan stated. 

Scarlett faced him and nodded her head. 

"I don't know if this is the right time to say this or the right place but-" He was interupted by a teacher from down the hall. 

"Ryan! Get to class!" The teacher yelled furiously. Scarlett started walking away giggling and Ryan gave her quick sheepish smile and ran away.

Scarlett had decided to go to Grace's home to see what really was happening. When everyone was getting ready to pack their bags Scarlett had gone to Eric's locker. 

"Hey." She greeted. 

"Oh, hi Scarlett. Where have you been?" He asked packing his books in his bag. 

"you know, homework." she replied. 

"Cool." He said locking his locker. They headed out the school doors to their bus and sat down. 

"I was wondering," She began as they settled down in their seats. "If you wanted to come with me to check up on Grace?" She asked Eric in an odd tone. 

"Well, sure. But isn't she sick?" He went through his iPod. 

"Um, I don't really think she is." Scarlett said. Eric looked at her raising an eyebrow. 

"What do you mean?" He looked at her. 

"I just feel that something is wrong." Eric shifted in his seat a little as if he were feeling uncomfortable. 

"I don't think we should go, you're just worrying cause you feel alone." He teased. Scarlett gave him a flat look. 

"No." 

He nodded his head. "But don't worry you have me."  He put his arm around her. 

"Ew, Eric." She whined. 

"What?" He chuckled. 

"You're so..." 

"I'm so what?" He questioned smiling. 

"Forget it," She puffed. "So are you coming or not? I called my mom telling her that i'd be going to Grace's house after school." She said. 

"No, we shouldn't" Eric pressed. Scarlett was wondering why he was retaliating so much. 

She picked up her bag and walked out of the bus, Eric forgetting that the stop was here. She kept walking ahead even though he called after her. He ran up to her and grabbed her shoulder. "Scarlett, wait." He huffed from running. She gave him a toothy smile. 

They walked down her street and reached her porch. Scarlett was about to ring the bell but she heard a loud shriek from inside. She whipped her hair and turned to look at Eric. He had worried expression on his face himself. Scarlett was shaking, she heard the scream again, it was Grace. 

"Scarlett, no." Eric shook his head. Scarlett froze in her spot. "We have to go." 

"No!" She yelled and Eric automatically grabbed her arm and dragged her behind a tree. 

"Stop screaming." He whispered. 

"Why! Grace is hurt!" Scarlett began to hyperventilate, her eyes were bulging out and her chest was rising up and down dramatically. 

"Okay, breathe Scarlett. Breathe." She did as Eric ordered. 

"Grace." She said barely audible. 

Curiosity got the best of her and she walked towards the house and peeked through a window, Eric was behind her. It looked into the living room. There were two boys and a women. Then there was Grace on the floor. She was crying and her clothes were ripped from the back. 

"What's going on?" Scarlett was horrified, she saw Grace shriek again.

"Let's go Scarlett." Eric said. 

"Let's go? Are you retarded? What do you mean let's go? She's being raped or something..." She moved her hands around frantically exasperating. "We have to call the police." She whispered this time so they couldn't hear inside. 

"You don't understand Scarlett." Eric rubbed his forehead. 

"Don't understand what?" She questioned him furious. 

Just then a loud growl was heard from inside the house. Scarlett was still facing Eric when this happened. Eric had a guilty look on his face and they slowly turned to look into the window. Scarlett was couldn't speak, what had just happened before her eyes was something she couldn't have even imagined her friend to be.