XI - Semibreve

Chapter 11 – Semibreve

"Mumma!" Airee cried out, tears threatening to spill over her cheeks as she looked around for her mum. When she didn't spot her anywhere, she cried harder.

"Hey, what's with you?" A young boy with dark hair and eyes who approached her, asked her softly, not wanting to scare her away.

"M-My m-mummy..." She sobbed.

He put a hand on her head in an attempt to calm her crying. "Don't worry, she just went to the store for a bit with my mum to buy us ice pops. You were too busy playing with the other kids so she just let you be."He smiled. "Oh, there they are. Don't cry now." He said,directing his gaze towards his mum and her mum, both of them carrying a small paper bag.

"Calum, thanks for watching over her." Her mum said. "Airee, why are you crying?" She knelt down in front of her, wiping her tears with her handkerchief.

"She started crying when she couldn't find you." Calum answered for her.

"I'm sorry,honey. Here, I bought you your favorite." Her mum grinned, handing her a chocolate flavored twin pops while Joy handed Calum an orange flavored one.

Calum peeled off the wrapper of his twin pop and started to eat it slowly, careful about having brain freeze. He stopped when he felt a small tug on his shirt.

"M-Mister,this is for you." Airee stuttered, holding out the other half of her twin pop to Calum. "Thank you for making me feel better." She smiled shyly up at him.

Calum smiled and gave her the other half of his twin pop.

"Here, we can share." He said, holding out the other half of his twin pop.

"I've never tried orange flavor before, Mister." She said, a bit hesitant to take the ice pop from him.

"My name's Calum, Airee. And trust me, it's delicious." Calum chuckled.

Eventually, she took the other half from him while he did the same from her. She took a small bite, wincing when the cold pierced her teeth but she smiled at the taste.

"How's it?"

"You're right, it's delicious." She grinned.

They continued to eat while their mums watched over them. When they got home, they were ecstatic when they both knew they lived next to each other. She was six and he was seven.

"Mum! Mum!"Airee called out once she entered the house, running to where she knows her mother is.

"Airee,careful, don't run." Hikari said as she wiped her hands using the hand towel hanging beside their kitchen sink.

"Yes, what is it that you wanted to tell me?" She asked, facing her daughter.

"She joined the Guitar Club!" Her brother, Keith, barged in and interrupted her.

"I should be the one telling her that, big bro!" Airee pouted which earned a laugh from Keith while he opened the fridge to retrieve his water bottle.

"I'm going to play basketball with my friends." Keith called out from the living room.

"Be back by dinner, dear." Hikari said then facing her daughter again. "You joined the Guitar Club?"

"Yes, Calum and I did!"

"That's great. But you don't have a guitar, Airee."

"It's okay,mum. Calum has two guitars, he'll let me borrow one."