sixteen

Amari was dropped of at Edwin's house a minute later. She walked to knock on the door as Zion did not move from the the driveway until he saw her go inside the house.

It took a moment, only hearing Edwin's voice yelling out to someone else who was probably in the house. Amari didn't think much of it.

Then suddenly, the front door flew open showing his platinum blonde hair, which was still curly somehow. "Heyo."

Zion beeps his horn before pulling out of the driving way, backing up and driving off. This startled the both of them.

"Who was that?" He asked, having an idea that it was Zion. Though he did take into account what she had told him before.

"Zion," She looked around, before waking inside past him. "But your hair??? It looks so good, when did you do it."

He closed the door behind him, looking at her suspiciously. Edwin could sense she was slowly trying to stray away from the subject she'd actually came to talk about. "Yesterday. Remember when you said I needed to treat myself? This is my treat."

"Not what I was thinking but I'm not surprised."

"But didn't you say that Zion wasn't going to drop you off? Because of whatever you were gonna tell me?"

Amari sighed heavily. "Yea, so—"

"I think your oven's broken, Ed. The pizza is taking so long." A voice yelled from the kitchen, interrupting her. She looked at Edwin who just held up a finger.

"Try turning it up higher," He shouted back in concern. She looked as if she were about to scold him, but he stopped her before she could. He took her hand and led her to the kitchen. She was met with someone staring into his oven impatiently. They were quiet coming in, so this person had no idea they had just walked in.

Edwin waited until the person stood, which they never did. "Really?" He raised his voice, causing the person to stand up and turn around startled at the sudden, loud voice.

"Austin?" She said with surprise, staring at him with wide eyes. His startled face formed into a smile, waving at her. She waved back before looking in between the two boys. "Y'all know each other? Seriously?"

Confused, Edwin responded. "Yea, always."

"Small world."

"I guess." He shrugged before shoving Austin away from his oven. "You have it so low, it's going to take like ten minutes at that point, you might as well wait."

He ran his hand through his hair, blowing out a sigh. "I'm so hungry."

Edwin just shrugged before turning his attention back to Amari. "Let's go to the living room," He began to walk off, letting her follow behind him. The room was a few steps away. They both sat on the couch beside each other.

"So? What's up?" He asked, leaning back.

"Let's start out with Zion. I like him, a lot. Which you probably already knew," She paused, looking at him who just nodded his head. "but we like almost got into it I'm pretty sure. But he like stopped, talking about he didn't want to hurt me or something."

He hummed, thinking about a response. "Seems like him. He's scared that you're going to like him as much as he likes you. Honestly, if Z likes you enough to just stop before y'all even had sex for some sappy reason, that says something."

"Hm. Okay, but let's reverse. Early that day I went over to our neighbor's house. But only Brandon was there. You know Brandon?"

He shrugged. "There are lots of Brandon's. Probably not."

"Okay, so anyway. We did stuff, and I left my underwear there. The worst part is he has a girlfriend and she's my friend—"

"Woah woah woah. Mari you did what??" His expression was more than flabbergasted. "Where was she?"

"I don't know exactly where, but they were on a break apparently. He promised he wouldn't tell." She felt ashamed, as she should have. She couldn't look her best friend in the eyes at the moment, due to her embarrassment. "I don't know why I did that."

"Do you like him too?" He asked, confused. She shook her head quickly, before he could even finish the sentence. "Then why?"

"I just said I don't fucking know,"

"Hey, calm down." He says. "I just think you should not talk to that Brandon kid anymore. His girlfriend neither. Avoid the situation. And for Z, say something. Y'all need to talk,"

"I agree." Austin jumps in, his pizza on his plate. "I could tell he likes you, specially if he doesn't want you around Nick. If I liked you the way he probably does I wouldn't want you around Nick either."

Amari bit her lip, another thought coming to mind. "About Nick—"

"No, don't tell me." Edwin interrupted.

"No no no, he tried to kiss me. I wasn't having it. He was just cute and he was trying way too hard," She rolled her eyes.

"When was this?" Austin questioned, taking a bite of his hot pizza, which he took like a champ.

"When you were out of town, around Halloween. We went to this haunted house." She informed him, he nodded.

"Sounds like fun." He smiled.

"I don't like scary shit," She shivered jokingly, getting a chuckle out of Austin. "But yea, should I try something with him?"

"Nick? No ma'am," Edwin says, sitting up. "No."

"Not him. Zion."

"Oh. Yea, you should. He's kind of lonely," He says, leaning back once more. "He needs a decent girl like you,"

"If I can build up the courage to say hey Zion I want some dick, then I'll update you."

"Okay— TMI." Austin cringes, taking another bite of his pizza nonetheless.

Edwin shook his head. "I say go for it, however you do. But if it involves anything you wouldn't tell your 'ma then I don't want to hear it," He shoos her away. She giggles at the gesture.

"You'd be surprised what I could tell her—"

"My God," Austin runs into the kitchen, at his point disgusted. The other two laughed at him dramatics.

The rest of that enlightening night was mostly eating and talking about random subjects, of course, Amari always found a way to bring Zion up. She never realized until saying something aloud about how much she actually liked him. He suddenly went from this controlling hot roommate to the perfect boy in her eyes. It's great, but the sensation scared her, like something was going to go wrong.

~*~*~*~*~