Trouble

As the year progressed, we studied for O.W.L.s, the Tri-Wizard Tournament came towards its second task, and I turned down Branimir's date offer, which is how he found out about me and Fred. And, a few other things to mention, before we get started with this roller coaster of a story:

Cedric Diggory. A name I know you'll all remember. After all, he was the first victim of the second Wizarding War. A victim of Voldemort. But, we'll get to that later. Cedric Diggory was one of the few people out of Gryffindor house that I actually talked to. He was actually one of my closest friends. I've known him since my first year, and he seemed pretty cool, so I started talking to him. We've been good friends ever since. He's also a year older than me, and now you're all caught up. Great! On with the story:

***

I walked down the hall that morning in early February, headed down to breakfast. We've had much less homework due to O.W.L.s studying, which is great. Besides, I have my last year if Quidditch to practice for, and the weather was warming up and not too bad for flying. Anyhow, I walked down the shifting staircases towards the Great Hall when Cedric walked up to me.

"Hey Liz," Cedric said. We hadn't spoken in a while, so I was taken by much surprise.

"Oh, hey Ced. It's been a hot minute," I told him, using a muggle expression I'd had to explain to him the previous year.

"Quite," He replied. "So I've heard you and Fred have finally hitched up." He nudged my arm with his elbow as he said it.

"We didn't 'hitch up' as you say, but I see you get the general gist. What's brought you to me, anyways?" I asked.

"I was just kidding. But I'm here to ask if you've seen Harry recently. I haven't caught him around anywhere, and I have something to tell him. Know where I could find him?" Cedric returned a question.

"Not a clue, but try either the Great Hall or the Quidditch Pitch. Either one seems plausible," I replied.

"Thanks, thus is why you're my best female friend," Cedric said to clarify, making sure I didn't hear the word girlfriend or anyone else around us would.

"No problem, Cedric," I said as he rested arm on my shoulder for a second, then walked off somewhere else.

Before I could reach the Great Hall, however, I was pulled aside by Professor Moody. "Elizabeth, can I speak with you a moment?"

"Absolutely, professor," I said as I stepped aside and stood in an abandoned corridor with Moody. "What can I do you for?"

"As you know, the second task is coming up and the champions are figuring out their eggs. I have come here to explain some things. The eggs sing a riddle, but it can only be heard underwater. It says 'Come seek us where our voices sound,
We cannot sing above the ground,
And while you're searching ponder this;
We've taken what you'll sorely miss,
An hour long you'll have to look,
And to recover what we took,
But past an hour, the prospect's black,
Too late, it's gone, it won't come back.', which means that we have to take something from each champion, that thing being a person, and hiding them in the Black Lake. And as I, and several other professors have seen, you and Mr. Diggory are very good friends. Unfortunately for you, that means we need to hide you in the Black Lake. You will be petrified and within an hour's time, you will return to the surface, whether he finds you or not."

"Me? Of all people? Me?" Was all I could think to say.

"Yes, you. Now, set your belongings down, you won't be needing those underwater."

"What?"

"Petrificus Totalis!" Moody said, pointing his wand at me. I froze and fell back, my eyes closed and unable to move. It was just like falling asleep. With sleep paralysis.