Chapter One

PRESENT DAY:

My name is Blue Evans and I'm adopted. I've recently turned fifteen years old and have a younger brother and older sister. I have olive tanned skinned, deep brown eyes and ash brown hair... and a curvy but not too curvy body. Okay, let's be real here. I'm P H A T.

I'm going into sophomore year at Los Angeles Country Day High. My older sister, Elle Evans, has a best friend named Lee Flynn, who does literally everything with her. And I mean, everything. Elle has this really unhealthy crush on his older brother and playboy of the school... Noah Flynn! Yep. AND, in spite of me being two years younger than him and one younger than Elle and Lee, Noah's my best friend. Lee too, is my one of my best friends... but there's just one problem... I have this huge crush on him.

But...

Both Lee and Elle made a list of 'Best Friend Rules'. Rule number nine states that 'relatives of your best friend are TOTALLY off limits!'. To make matters worse, Lee made that rule. I guess it's because it's so hard for him to live in his big brother's shadow.

Anyway, Elle and I are over at the Flynns' house right now, savouring the last moments of summer baking by the pool. Their house is awesome by the way. I hear a phone ding and lift my shades to look at Elle.

"What is it?" I ask.

As I wait, I fix my one piece and hear Elle gross out about something.

"Ew, perv!"

I get up to look at what's on her phone.

"Ugh, that's gross!"

"Hey, Lee. Guess what Warren texted the entire school!" Elle yells out.

"Lee?" I blurt and Elle continues.

"LEE?!"

I hear heavy foot falls coming from the second level balcony.

"GERONIMO!"

"Oh, no," my sister mumbles.

Lee jumps off the roof and into the pool, making me stand up on my chair whilst Elle gets soaked. She just sits there in shock as Lee resurfaces and we laugh.

"That was... a good one," she compliments and Lee repeats, getting out of the pool.

"Here, come here. Take a seat," Elle starts, pointing at the space on my chair next to me as I lie back down.

Lee comes over and lifts my feet up, taking a seat, then resting them in his lap.

"So, tomorrow- the first day of school. The student council is expecting our idea this week, for the fall fundraiser... and we're gonna be in trouble if we don't think of something fast," Elle states, looking strictly at the both of us.

Lee and I look at each other and he signals to me with his eyes, 'I completely forgot...'. I look at him the same way but then look down at my legs.

"Honestly, Lee!" I yell at him.

"What did I do?!"

"You made me wet!" REFERRING to my legs when he jumped into the pool. NOT above that!

Lee just laughs.

"Yeah..." Elle trails off, then looks behind mean with lustrous eyes. That could only me one thing...

Noah.

Lee's deep in thought, so he doesn't really notice her googley eyes at Noah. I roll my eyes and stand up, walking away to dip my feet in the pool, just when the devil speaks.

"Not as wet as I can make you."

"Shut up, Noah. You're so gross!"

"Lee, have you seen my athletic cup?" Noah asks through his chuckles.

"Yes, asshat," Lee says standing up, walking to face his brother, "I need it for all those varsity sports I'm constantly playing, you know?"

Elle and I burst out laughing and I walk over to Noah.

"Asshat," I repeat, walking inside to get some water and whacking Noah upside the head.

"Shut up, Blue," Noah replies, hitting me back as I laugh more, "hey, Shelly."

Ha, Elle hates being called that and Noah likes harassing her about it. His voice is very faint as I listen from the kitchen. When I turn the tap on, it drowns all the noise out and I can only hear running water. It reminds me of the beach.

As I finish up in the kitchen I hear Lee say, "does that include you?"

Welp, I can only guess that some major burn went down because Elle and Lee are taunting Noah with their weird noises. He picks up a pool football and chucks it at Lee's back... hard. Lee squeals and falls forward into the pool and I laugh and hit Noah on the shoulder.

"Dude..." I trail off.

"Ow." I hear from the pool. Noah rolls his eyes and walks away whilst I walk back over to the pool.

"What an ass!" Lee says.

"I know," Elle and I say simultaneously, but for two very different reasons.

"Hey, hey, hey! Rule number nine, young lady!" Lee yells at Elle and I walk over to him, replicating his gestures to Elle.

"Oh, come on! As if!" She yells back. Yep, she's a pretty terrible lier.

"Oh, well, yeah. You got a little bit of drool right there on the corner of your mouth," he says pointing to his lip, causing me to bite my own.

"Oh, really right there?" Elle asks, picking up a soccer ball, "oh do I? Do I really?!"

She throws the ball at Lee, making him lose his balance and knock into me, pushing us both into the pool. He pulls me up, his arms wrapping around my waist to keep me floating. I cling onto him for dear life, wrapping my legs around his torso and arms around his head, pressing my chest into his face.

Yeah, two things... I can't swim and I'm absolutely terrified of it.

"Come on, Elle! You know I can't swim!" I yell out.

"Yeah..." Elle trails off, "Blue?"

"WHAT?!"

"You're kind of squishing Lee's face with your boobs," she laughs.

"Oh! Sorry, Lee!" I scream, letting go of him for a fleeting second then clinging back onto him... but, not too tight.

"That's okay, Blue," he replies, smiling up at me.

All is quiet for a second, whilst I look into Lee's eyes.

"HEY! RULE NUMBER NINE, YOUNG MAN!" Elle screams out, scaring us and making us both latch on tighter.

"Shut up, Elle!" I yell, and we get out of the pool.