Chapter Seventeen

"She seems nice..."

So... I hitched a ride back with Lee.

And Rachel.

Lee gets back into the driver's seat as I jump into the front with him, him coming back from dropping off Rachel. And by 'dropping off', I mean literally having to fucking walk her to her front door. She's like, freaking sixteen, not eighty!

"Yeah... she's great," Lee responds in a love-struck tone, starting the car and driving off.

"Look, Lee. If I came across as rude or- salty... god I hate that word. I'm sorry, I never meant for my attitude to be like that. It just wa-"

Lee stops the car and looks at me, dead in the eye.

"What happened ten minutes ago... happened, okay? It happened and we can't do anything about it now," he explains.

I may have been ruining their 'couples moment' by making rude remarks about Rachel in the back of the car. But I swear to G.O.D, I literally felt their PDA radiating over to me. It was painful.

"You're lucky she was kind about it," he rolls his eyes.

"Okay, I'm sorry," I sigh, my shoulders sagging, "I just- I don't want you to cut me out from your life. I know, yes, you have found Rachel and she's the one for you. And I'm happy! Don't get me wrong, but you kinda just ignored me after the fair... I don't want to stop being your friend, Lee. That's- that's really all I'm asking now.

I'll give you the space you need and I'll make an effort to be friends with Rachel. But in return... I just need that reassurance that you're not going to walk out on me like so many people have," I conclude.

Silently, he nods and drives off in the direction our houses.

--------------------------------------------------------

A few weeks pass and Elle and Noah have been acting really weird lately. Even Lee asks Elle what the hell is going on. She's even put a lock on her phone! You can't even see whose texted her... It's odd. But at least Lee isn't ignoring me anymore.

1:27pm.

Dad left ten minutes ago to get some groceries and to drop Brad off at a friends house whilst I'm sitting on the couch reading 'The Subtle Art of Not Giving A Fuck'. It's actually a very well-written and insightful book, it teaches you the valuable lesson of caring less. Elle is upstairs doing God knows what and I'm legit gorging myself on crackers with cheese and chive dip... and chocolate bars... and the whole Nutella jar.

What? I'm on my period.

A soft knock is heard from the other side of the front door and I get off my fat ass to open it.

"Hey, Lee," I say in surprise, opening the door wider for him to come in.

"Hey, Blue, how's things?" he asks.

I shrug and chuckle, closing the door, "okay so far, how's Rachel?"

"She's good, I just came back from her place. Her mum invited me over for brunch," he smiles.

"That's nice."

I go back to sit on the couch, offering the chips and dip to Lee which he gladly accepts. A comfortable silence blankets over us, as if we finally understand each other's boundaries now. I turn on the TV and put it on the international channel.

"Is that... Australian Football?" I ask Lee.

He shrugs and takes a seat next to me, "I've got no clue. Oh wait- it says AFL in the top corner. I think that stands for Australian Football League."

"How the heck do you know that? That's so random," I laugh.

"I don't know. I think Noah had to do a project on the different types of Football in the world and I was just nosey," Lee chuckles.

"Anyway, are you here to see Elle?"

"Yeah, I was gonna drop by to say 'hi' to the both of you... Where is Elle by the way?"

"She's upstairs in her room doing something, I don't know..." I trail off, "though I did hear some weird noises before I came downstairs. I don't know, go check."

"Okay..."

Lee walks upstairs and knocks on Elle's door, at least, from what I can hear. I've turned the volume up on the TV so I don't really know, but this AFL thing is actually really interesting.

"Yhelllooooww!" I hear Elle scream.

What the fuck?

After a good thirty seconds of Elle and Lee talking at her door I presume, I hear a thump come from outside, making me flick my head to the window. Lee thumps down the stairs at the same time...

Huh... It was probably the kid from next door again. Always throwing his shit into our front garden. Not his actual shit though... moving on.

"Your sister was watching porn!" Lee yells out.

I scrunch my face up in disgust, "ewww. So that's what I heard."

That... that is something I will never un-hear.

[UNEDITED]