Chapter Twenty-Eight

"I didn't."

I gasp as my eyes snap open and turn towards the door.

"Noah?!"

He stands there solemnly, guilt evident on his face and in his clouded eyes.

"Hey, Blue..."

I scoff and stand up defiantly.

"'Hey'?! You tell me you're leaving for Boston and I'll never see you again or even get to say goodbye to you. And you say 'hey'?!" I whisper-yell, references to Harry Potter long gone and not important in my head.

He pushes the door open and walks into the room, strutting up to me and stopping arms-length away. I stand up taller, straightening my back to make myself look more intimidating and practically throwing my aura of annoyance towards him. Noah reaches out and places his hands gently on my cheeks, wiping my tears and smudging the streaks of sadness off my face. My eyes flicker to the mirror in the corner of Noah's room and, surprisingly, I find that my eyeliner has stayed exactly the same but has only buffed out a little. Girl stuff... you know.

Noah pulls me into a tight embrace, his huge biceps resting next to my head as I wriggle my arms around his waist.

"I'm so sorry..." he starts, mumbling against my forehead, "but I realised I couldn't leave without  saying goodbye to you... or your sister."

I pull away and look up at him, a sly grin evident on my face. My smirk then falls into a soft smile.

"You know... she still loves you," I start, grasping his shoulder, "she was just stunned... and a little confused."

Noah half smiles down at me and places his hand over my own on his shoulder. That is until we hear muffled voices echoing into our ears from the staircase around the corner from Noah's room.

"Elle, what's wrong? Hey! You're acting all weird."

That has to be Lee. Noah and I creep down the stairs and look into the glass reflection, finding Lee and Elle having a very emotional conversation.

Elle sighs deeply, "I love you. And I always, always wanna be close to you. But being my best friend, doesn't give you the right to tell me who I can love. It's like with Rachel. What if I didn't like having her around? What would you do then?"

"I guess I'd break up with he-"

"No, you see? You shouldn't have to do that just because I didn't want you to be with her," Elle sadly attempts to reason.

"No, no. Come on, Elle. This isn't the same thing as with Noah and you know that!" Lee says, working himself up.

"Okay, okay. Listen to me, Lee. We made up our rules... when we were six. I only agreed because you had a crush on Blue. And at the time... that rule was understandable," Elle shakes, wavering her voice as tears cloud her eyes.

"What are you saying?" Lee asks, also close to tears.

"I'm saying that I love Noah. And I want him."

I flip my head to face Noah and send him an 'I told you so' look.

"And I'm sorry if that hurts you and I'm so sorry that I lied to you before. I was wrong," Elle cries, "But I'd be lying to you again if I didn't tell you that I love him with every bit of my heart... and if you just can't accept that... then... then maybe you can be part of my life."

That struck me hard. Leaning against the railing, I face the glass on the other side of the stairs and look at my reflection. I didn't want Elle to stop being friends with Lee... not only would that hurt her, but I would be able to spend time with him much as well. Then, shifting my eyes ever so slightly, I see that Lee is looking at me dead in the eye through the reflection. I only now realise that Noah has left my side and has retreated to his room with the new information that he had just heard.

"I think you're making a big mistake..." he says, turning back to Elle solemnly.

Elle pauses and finally says,

"Then that's my decision to make."

I close my eyes and wait for Lee's response.

"You're right..." he says, catching both Elle and I by surprise, "I love you, Elle, and I just want you to be happy."

Elle rushes toward him and embraces him in a hug, letting out a weak 'thank you' in the process.

Satisfied with how the friends made up, I jog back upstairs into Noah's room.

"Not to say I told you so but..." I laugh, walking and sitting on the floor in front of Noah.

Before either of us can say anything else, Lee barges into the room holding a bigger version of his costume on a hanger.

"Alright, Noah... you're going somewhere."

[UNEDITED]