Chapter Six

Dad, Brad, Elle and I are waiting at the Beach Cafe by the water for the Flynn's. This family tradition states that every Sunday, the Evans' go to lunch with the Flynn's. It's always a good day when they're over.

The Flynn's round the corner and walk into the outdoor cafe heading over towards us. Elle and I stand and walk over to them.

"Hey, guys," Elle says.

She hugs Mrs. Flynn, who's basically our second mum. I go to hug Mr. Flynn and say a quick 'hello'.

"How's school going?" I hear Mrs. Flynn ask Elle as I walk over to Noah and hug him.

"Hey, raptor," he says to me.

"Hey, iknowaflynn," I reply and he laughs.

"That's a good one."

I walk away from him and walk over to Lee who's walking over to the table. I stand behind him and put my hands over his eyes.

"Guess who?"

"Uh... Beyonce?"

"No!" I laugh and take my hands away from his face.

"Hi, Blue," he says going into hug me.

"Hey, Lee," I say going in to shake his hand.

We get caught up and everybody stares at us.

"Uh, sorry," I say awkwardly, changing for a hug just as he's changing for a hand shake.

"You know, maybe we should just do this," I wrap my arms around his neck just as his hands land on my hips... Low on my hips.

I pull away and run off to sit next to Elle, leaving Lee standing there awkwardly.

"So, uh," dad mumbles as Lee sits down, "Noah! I haven't seen you since you got back from football camp, they got you starting again?"

"Well..." Mr. Flynn starts, "he'll be lucky if he makes it through the season."

Dad looks puzzled, so Mr. Flynn goes on.

"He goes and gets into a fight on the first day of school."

"Really?" Dad asks, "what happened?"

Mr. Flynn looks at Noah, "tell him."

Here it comes.

"It was just an argument over something that happened at football camp," Noah explains, "excuse me."

Huh... Wonder why he didn't say anything.

———————————

I'm helping out in the workshop with Elle and Lee as we try to make the stand for the kissing booth.

"Our booth is going to kick ass at the carnival," Lee starts, "Oh, and news update... Mia stopped me in the hall and said that she's going to the party tonight."

"Great, congratulations on your new baby-"

"What?! No!" Lee interrupts me, "she wanted to make sure that I would be there."

"Well, sir," Elle starts, "I wish you the best of luck with that."

"I don't," I mumble.

"What?" Lee asks me.

"What? I didn't say nothing..."

"Oh, I have to go to practice right now," Elle panics, "Lee, can you still give me a ride afterwards?"

"Oh, I can't. I'm taking my parents to the airport," Lee replies.

"Oh, Noah can give you a ride," I say, "his detention finishes just before your practice does."

She looks at me like, 'seriously?'.

"Convince him to do the booth," Lee agrees.

"Yeah, you're gonna have to ask him eventually..." I trail off.

"Okay, fine. See you guys later," Elle says, walking out of the workshop and leaving Lee and I to pack up.

"Hey, can I go to the airport with you. Brad's sleeping at a friends house tonight and dad's not gonna be home 'till late," I say.

"Awww, are you scared to be home alone?" He mocks.

"Yeah, basically," I answer bluntly, "ever since I came to this family, I've never been left alone. Joni made sure of it."

He looks at me with sympathy, "I'm sorry, I-"

"Didn't know, it's okay," I interrupt softly.

A comfortable silence blankets over us as I shove my hands into my pockets.

"Yes," Lee says, breaking the silence.

"Pardon?"

"Yes, you can come with me. We'll pass by your house and you can get the your things for the party," Lee says.

My face lights up and I smile softly at him, "thanks, Lee!"

I run up and hug him unexpectedly, pulling away when I've realised what I've done.

"Sorry..." I trail off awkwardly.

He smiles and pulls me back, "you're warm."

"You're sweet," I reply.

"Let's go, we're gonna be late," Lee laughs, wrapping his arm around my shoulders as we run out to his car.

———————————

"Bye, Mr and Mrs. Flynn! Have a nice time!" I yell as they wave goodbye to Lee and I.

"So..." Lee starts, "let's get this party started!"

We laugh as we walk back to the car, trying not to trip over the rolling suitcases people were bring in. Lee trips and we begin to work ourselves up to stupidity in LAX airport.

"Come on! Party starts in three hours!" I laugh.

"Dude, that's plenty of time!" Lee laughs back.

We're nearing the car now and Lee wraps his arms around me from behind.

"Rule number nine, young man!" I joke as I hold onto him tighter, "and no, not for a girl!"

"Well, do go on, my lady," he says as he opens the door for me and I sit.

"It takes two hours to get home, yeah?"

"Yeah, so?" He asks as he sits down in the driver's seat, "one hour's enough time right?"

"UH, NO!" I yell, pushing his head as he starts the car.

"Uh, why?!" he laughs back, driving out of the car park and onto the freeway.

"I brought like, three nice dresses and I need you to help me choose one!" I look at him with pleading eyes.

"Dresses? You never wear dresses!" He laughs.

"I think it's time for a change..."