Chapter Twenty-One

I try to slow down my breathing as I stare at Noah who just looks back in shame.

"What the hell was that, Noah?" I ask, frightened.

"Look, Blue, I'm sorry," he starts, walking over to me quickly.

I step back in fear and put my hands out to stop him, though I don't think they'll protect me much.

"Don't come any closer," I cut him off meekly.

"Blue..." Noah whispers, a tear slipping from his eye, "please, I'm not gonna hurt you."

I take another step back, just for some reassurance, barely whispering, "I can't be so sure anymore."

I feared as though if I spoke, he'd get angry and lash out. He hasn't been this aggressive in years. Not, that is, with some emotional backing or motivation.

So we just stood there, staring. Him, scared that if he moves I'll break down in tears and cry. Me, scared that if I move he'll lash out and hurt me.

"Blue," Elle says from behind me, "Lee's waiting for you downstairs in the car. I'm just here to say goodbye to Noah."

"Okay," I say, and without taking my eyes off Noah, I walk slowing out the door until I can't she him anymore.

Walking down the stairs, I let out a sigh of relief and feel my heart rate go back to normal. Lee starts tiptoeing up the stairs, grabbing my hand and bring me back up too.

We hear the muffled conversation through the wall until we reach the open door. Elle and Noah are seated on the chairs at his desk sharing a kiss.

"What the fuck."

Lee's voice breaks the two apart, Elle standing up first in a worried manner.

"Lee, I can explain," she says with a shaky voice.

"Unbelievable," he mutters, grabbing my hand and dragging downstairs to the cars.

We're running up the steps in the garden when we hear Elle's voice.

"Lee! Lee wait!"

He slows to a halt and let's go of my hand, the sweaty, anger-filled palm now absent from my touch.

"Wait."

He turns around and looks at Elle with tears in his eyes, "so this is what you've been keeping from me?"

"You were never meant to find out this wa-"

"Seems like I was never meant to find out at all, doesn't it Elle?"

"Hey, lay off her, Lee. It's not like it's all Elle's fault," Noah's voice emerges from my left, him coming into our view.

"You!" Lee yells, "don't even get me started on you, okay? Telling other guys to stay away from Elle to protect her. And there you are, treating her like some slut that you picked up from the club!"

"You have no idea what you're talking about," Noah says, attempting to calm his anger.

"So you're trying to tell me that you two have not slept together?" Lee retorts, looking at the both of them.

The both look down in shame, trying not to make eye contact with Lee who looks at them with disgust.

He scoffs, "I knew it. So you really just have been fucking my brother, and lying to me."

"No," Elle tries to deny, but she's knows that it's true.

"Okay, Lee, that is enough," Noah orders.

"No, it's not enough!" Lee yells back, "she has no clue what she's gotten herself into with you!"

"This is bullshit!" Noah belts, pointing a finger at Lee, "you're acting like a hurt little bitch!"

This is when everything goes straight to the bottom of hell.

Lee throws a punch at Noah, hitting him square in the jaw and tackling him to the ground. Noah pins Lee and gets on top of him to he can't move. Elle screams out for Noah to get off him and Noah screams out for Lee to chill out.

But to me... everything kind of a blur.

I'm seeing through tears. Tears that magnify every single one of each person's emotions. I can't say anything. I can't do anything. I can only stand there with my hands on the back of my head... just watching.

A few months ago... I felt as if it was me against the world. But now I guess it's my world against itself. Everything is just collapsing in on each other, and it's hard to feel alright.

I'm still standing here, staring at the ground, as Lee gets up. He walks over to me, sparing one last glance at Elle.

"Please," she whispers, on the verge of tears.

I look up and see Noah staring at me, the tears sliding down my cheeks and finally allowing me to see more clearly. He mouths, 'I'm sorry', and looks down at the ground in shame before looking back up at the sound of Elle's voice. Lee grabs my arm and starts running to his car, telling my to get in the passenger's side.

"Please, Lee!" Elle cries, "Stop! Please, Lee! Lee, please."

She stops on my side of the car, holding onto the side of the door. I can't even bring myself to look at her.

"Please, Lee, don't leave like this," she begs.

"So much for rule number nine, huh?" Lee scoffs.

"I didn't mean for this to happen..."

"You know," Lee starts, sliding his hands off the steering wheel, "my whole life... Noah has gotten everything that he has ever wanted. The only thing that I had that he didn't... was you."

He looks up at Elle, tears streaked down his face, "and now he has that too."

"Lee," Elle's hoarse voice croaks.

"It's okay," Lee shakes his head, then turning away in disgust, "you two deserve each other."

That's when I look down to my lap, feeling nothing but sorry for Elle. Lee starts the car and drives off down the driveway at high speed, and I look up to see Elle in disappearing in the side view mirror.

Sinking down in my seat, I look up at the sky, parting my lips and breathing a sigh.

"I'm sorry, Blue."

[UNEDITED]