Chapter 1

He couldn’t remember the last time he felt this awful. Maybe if he lay as still as possible, he wouldn’t throw up again. 

It had been a daily occurrence for Blaine to find himself like this for the past week, crouched in one of the toilet stalls in the boys’ bathroom or else curled on the floor of his own bathroom at home, willing his stomach to stop churning like the barrel of a cement mixer long enough for him to swallow some water to get rid of the horrible taste in his mouth from vomiting. 

The strange thing was, the nausea never stayed for long. It came and went in vicious waves, sending him out of AP History, out of gym, out of Glee practice to the nearest bathroom - he even had to cut a Skype call with Kurt short once, barely saying goodbye before rushing to the toilet, leaving Kurt shocked and worried at his sudden departure.  

It was also never at the same time of day more than once. It was unpredictable, and that was the worst part of it. 

He also had no idea what was wrong with him. 

At first, he’d suspected food poisoning, but that was quickly dismissed after the first two days, because food poisoning usually didn’t last that long if it wasn’t serious. Then he thought it must be stomach flu; but he wasn’t shivering, he didn’t have a fever, nor a headache. 

In fact, the only thing he seemed to be suffering from was nausea. That, and the inexplicable ache that had developed around his hips, which he put down to not sitting right at his desk at night when he did his homework. 

Sitting up gingerly, he reached for the bottle of water in his bag, hoping he’d be able to keep down whatever he drank long enough to go back to class. 

—————————————————

He hadn’t slept properly for days.

Most nights he was wide awake, fighting off nausea and the hot flush that seemed to creep over his skin like ghostly fingers, making him sweaty and restless. The sickness still hadn’t gone away, and Blaine was no closer to figuring out why.

On the third day, after his mom found him on the cool floor of their bathroom when she went to get a glass of water, he resulted to find out what was making him so sick.

So during lunch, he went to the library. It wasn’t like he could stomach eating anything anyway, so it wasn’t a big deal. Luckily, it was nearly empty, so he grabbed a computer and immediately logged on to one of those health websites that let you search for your symptoms, and it’ll give you a list of possible diagnoses. 

Blaine studied the list carefully, ticking off the ones that applied to him. 

Tiredness/lack of sleep

Difficulty sleeping

Nausea/vomiting

Joint pain

It was random, to say the least. He only hoped it would come up with a valid explanation. 

After a few minutes, it came up with a list of results. Or rather, just one. 

Flu. 

Well, he’d already ruled that one out. 

He clicked back to the main list of symptoms and ticked off Restlessness

One more result.

Diabetes.

He was pretty sure that if he was diabetic, he’d know by now, so he could safely rule that one out as well. 

Then he saw a list of questions that made his already uneasy stomach churn.

Do you experience frequent bouts of nausea that come and go?

Yes, he thought. 

Are you tired although you get more than eight hours’ sleep a night?

Yes, was the answer to that question too. 

If so, these could indicate pregnancy and it is best to consult your doctor.

Pregnancy? Why would he be pregnant? He was a guy; it was impossible for him to be. 

No, it wasn’t impossible. But it was very, very rare. So rare, in fact, that you only had about a handful of cases every year - he remembered reading about them,once. 

There was no way it would have happened to him. He and Kurt had used protection that night - no, it was impossible.

But condoms could break. And these things could - and do - happen. 

Shaking, he switched off the computer and sat back in the chair, ignoring the way his stomach twisted with nausea in protest at the movement.

If he really was - he couldn’t bring himself to think it - then this would mean a whole load of complications. 

He’d have to tell Kurt. 

He’d have to tell his friends. 

He’d have to tell his parents. 

He’d have to decide whether or not he was going to keep his child.

He would have to decide whether or not he was going to go to college, because he couldn’t go to New York and raise a baby.

But he knew that before he did anything, he’d have to know for sure. And that meant going to the drugstore on his way home from school and buying as many pregnancy tests as his savings would allow. 

He’d be lying if he wasn’t scared.