Chapter 9

“….so my flight gets in at five tomorrow night, so if you want to hang out or something, maybe watch a movie, I’ll ask my dad if you can - Blaine? Blaine, are you listening to me?”

Blaine’s eyes flew open from where they’d been fluttering half-closed for the past five minutes as he registered the urgency in Kurt’s voice. He was completely exhausted. 

“Um, yeah, yeah I am, sorry.” He yawned, impossibly loudly. “I’m just s-so ti-ired lately. I must have blanked out for minute.”

“I can hang up if you want to get some sleep.” Kurt offered. 

“No, no! It’s fine. Keep talking." 

Kurt hummed, a noise of disapproval of concern. 

"Really, Kurt, I’m fine. It’s just something I’ll have to get used to.”

“You know I can see right through you, don’t you?" 

Blaine laughed. "Yes.” A pause. “Seriously, Kurt, it’s nothing to worry about. it’s just a pregnant thing.”

“Speaking of pregnant things…..” Kurt trailed off, and Blaine was unable to see the teasing expression on his face through the phone line that connected them. “Do you want me to pick you up before your appointment, or do you want to come over first?”

“I think it’ll look less suspicious if you come pick me up, to the others I mean. I’ll ask Sam to cover for me because I’ll have to miss last period and I’ll be late for Glee.”

"Then it’s a date.”
_____________________________________

“So what excuse did you give Rachel and Santana?" 

The question brings Kurt up short, and for a moment his fingers flex around the steering wheel has he drives, the knuckles white from gripping it so hard with nerves. 

"You know,” Blaine elaborated, “for coming here. Did you tell them you were seeing me?”

“Yes and no.” Kurt said. “I said that I was visiting Dad and Carole, which I am, so that part wasn’t a lie -”

“And?”

“Yes.” Kurt said, and smiled. “I told them that I might be dropping by to see you while I was here." 

"Good.” Blaine looked at his lap, where his hands were folded neatly. From this angle, he could see the weight he’d gained around his stomach and waist. It wasn’t much, but he could see it, and the thought both thrilled and worried him. What if someone else noticed, and realized what was going on?

“Nervous?” Kurt must have noticed the worrisome expression on his face. 

“Not really. I’ve been here before, remember?" 

"Well, the GPS says we’re nearly there.” Kurt pointed to the small screen on the dashboard. “Is this the place?” he asked, when the familiar white building that hid Dr. Marshall’s clinic from overly-curious eyes came into view. 

“Yeah, this is it. I know it looks weird, but it has to be kept…private." 

Kurt pulled up just behind the building, by the side entrance that Blaine and Sam had used before, and the silence in the wake of the engine cutting was deafening.