Chapter 56: Three, Two, One

"Aya-chaaaaan! What took you so lo-" His question got cut off with a crashing sound of the clay hitting the cement. He found the frail girl lying on top of him, her face buried in his chest after forcefully tackling him away from the trap, knocking them both off balance.

Ayame groaned as she lifted her head from his chest and pulled herself up with great effort. Glaring, she glanced back up at the rooftop, roughly making out three pairs of eyes peering over the edge. She spoke loud enough to be heard by the three.

"If you want to injure me and me only, then you might wanna work on your aim."

She can faintly hear the three girls whisper angrily to each other, "You hurt Oikawa-senpai?!"

"It wasn't my fault he was in the way!"

"Our club president will kick us out for sure!" One cried as she escaped the scene along with the rest.

Once the coast was clear, she held her hand out to the brunette.

"Your hand..." Oikawa said in concern, his tone was genuine and caring. Now that he said it, there was a stinging pain in her right palm and elbows since they skidded along the rough cement. It didn't bleed as much, though you could see the pink foreskin peeling off.

"Oh, sorry." Misinterpreting his statement, she apologized, switching her injured right hand with her clean left one. As she helped him up, he remained silent.

One thing that took her by surprise: Oikawa scolded her. She had never really witnessed this side of his, since he's usually a really bubbly person, using his cocky grin and fake smiles as a facade. This side of his is much gentler, sincere and serious. No flirtatious remarks of any kind. Genuine.

"You shouldn't have been so reckless." He scolded, scanning her arms for any more scratches.

"...Sorry." She mumbled. Oikawa's expression then softened as he watch her pull out a mint green handkerchief and proceeded to gently dab his left cheek with it. He winces out at the sudden pain.

"It's bleeding." She said, showing him the green handkerchief, stained with red splotches. One of the clay shards from the shattering impact must've flew and cut his cheek. Oikawa held the handkerchief to his cut as he grabbed her by the wrist, urgently heading over to the clinic.

As expected in the middle of the summer, all the nurse and staff weren't present, so they were left to mend themselves. Oikawa sat on the edge of the bed, continuing to dab at his wound as the girl went through the drawers until she found what she was looking for.

"Oikawa, stay still. This might hurt a bit." She said as she lightly dabbed a cotton soaked in alcohol on his cheek. The girl was too absorbed into mending his cut that she didn't notice how red his face is. Inching closer to his with every dab, her eyes remained fixated on the wound, her tongue sticking out slightly. The distance between his face and hers was too small for comfort.

"What about your scratches....?" He spoke softly, trying his best to stop the heat from rising to his cheeks.

"Your face is a bigger priority here. If that thing gets infected, your fanbase will be reduced to a half. Besides, it doesn't hurt anymore." The last part was a lie, her elbow throbbed with every move she makes. Fortunately, she was able to convince him.

The brunette forced out a chuckle, grinning goofily. "Well at least I got you to nurse me."

"Your uncanny ability to think optimistically in a situation like this is amazing." She said sarcastically as her lips curved to a small smile.

He can hear his heart pounding loudly, his face growing redder as the clock ticked by. Now their faces are barely two inches apart. Why is he so nervous? He's dealt with so many cute girls before, flirting with them without a trace of blush on his face.