Chapter 87: Meteor Shower

Ayame was never one for feelings. She was a girl of putting facts over feelings. Analytical. Skeptical. Always curious and hungry for information. Despite her childish height and appearance, she acts maturely around her peers - for the most part at least. She followed proper eating etiquette, said "yes ma'am" or "no sir", and lived in a life where she blindly followed the rules set by her father.

Of course, as you may all be aware of, she stopped following them four years ago.

Right now, she would sigh and look back, thinking to herself: why did she follow those rules anyways? Sometimes (in fact right now) she thought about how much progress she made throughout that span of...what was it? Almost a year now? Time sure flies by fast. The clock's used to tick so slowly in a rhythmical, monotonous pattern. Looking back to her first day in Karasuno, she barely opened her mouth. Her icy blue eyes, dim and lifeless, would only focus on worksheets. There would be mysterious marks appearing on her right forearm after storms and in random days.

It's different now. Way different.

The clock only shows time constraints to her now - constraints as to how many memories she created. It ticks unpredictably- at one point one minute felt like a good hour, the other minute feeling like a second. It kept her on her toes. Those eyes of hers? They began to glimmer oh so brightly again. Those mysterious marks stopped appearing on her forearm... leaving it spotless. Of course, scars are evident, but scars are only a sign of survival, not weakness.

God, she hates being so sentimental. It's too sappy and gross. But sometimes, people can't help it: sometimes people feel the need to express their gratitude with the people whom she cares for. And that's perfectly fine.

This girl's negative perception of the world shifted entirely - to a much more beautifully brighter world all because of the Karasuno Volleyball Club.

Calm down, Ayame. You're being overly emotional. Get over yourself, she thought to herself. Letting out a shaky breath in hopes to cool her down, she carefully opened the door and slipped back in, gaining Coach Ukai's and Takeda Sensei's attention.

Coach Ukai waved. "Hey! What took you so long? And where's your brother?"

"You look pale. Is something bothering you?" Takeda Sensei asked in concern.

"He left right after giving me this. " She pointed at the ball that fit snug between her arm and her side. "I just..."

Takeda Sensei gave her a warm smile, urging her to continue. She sighed. "Man... I don't know how I'll say this without sounding so gross, but... I'm really thankful to be in this club."

The two adults blinked with a mildly surprised expression at her. Is she...Is she sick?

"Well then. I'm going to leave now and help clean. See you later, Coach, Sensei." She recovered quickly with a flat tone. Along the way, she bumped into Yachi in the dark room of the supplies room, who looked occupied wiping the lens of her camera. It was quite dark, since the only type of light came from the window - however the skies were blanketed with darkness apart from the glowing of the stars. Ayame stiffened.

"Ah. Sorry."

"Eep! Don't be..!!" Yachi replied immediately. "I'm the one who should be apologizing!"

However, the Assistant Coach's eyes were fixed on the camera slung around her neck, eyes adjusting to the darkness. "Taking pictures of the meteor shower tonight?"

Yachi's face brightened. "Yep! Of course! This particular type of meteor shower tonight only comes so rarely! According to my research, the next one won't be for another twenty one years! It starts in about ten minutes!"