03

Avanti walked gracefully across the floor, a constant smile playing on her lips. Her eyes were filled with unimaginable admiration as she noticed every little detail. This was everything she had ever imagined, the beginning of what she truly wanted for herself. She didn't expect it to be perfect, knowing that there were thousands of others vying for the same opportunity. Yet, she couldn't bring herself to ask for more.

She loved the fact that this was going to be her profession. Developing software, immersing herself in coding, and delving into the world of machines—this was her passion, and this was just the start. Her journey so far hadn't been a leisurely walk on a sun-kissed beach with cool waves at her feet; it had been more like walking barefoot on scorching streets, sweating under the unforgiving sun, while striving to maintain their self-esteem.

After her father passed away, their family wasn't destitute, but they struggled to put enough food on the table. Her father, a private employee, had always managed to provide for their household and give his two beautiful daughters an education. Their dreams of conquering the world with their passion and knowledge, along with an annual trip to different states, were the source of their happiness. Life wasn't perfect, but it was filled with contentment.

However, their little world of dreams and happiness shattered like fragile glass. The sound of it breaking remained unheard, but the impact was slow yet piercing. Avanti's mother found a job as a teacher for primary school children in a private school, despite being only a graduate. It became a ray of hope in their darkening lives. Meanwhile, Avanti herself started tutoring young children and working part-time in a gadget repairing shop to cover her school and college fees, as well as to support the dreams of her younger sister.

Time flew by, and life became neither bad nor good—it simply lacked happiness. Avanti had no idea when and how happiness would return or when the pain that lay hidden beneath their relentless efforts would subside. There were moments when they imagined how things could have been better if circumstances had been kinder. But one thing Avanti was certain of: happiness would return because she never stopped dreaming and she was determined to succeed. She could envision the happiness returning to them, smirking in her success.

______________________

Divit was in the middle of composing an email to Vibhuti when Avanti approached him. He gestured for her to wait a minute before rising from his seat and walking over to her.

He stood there silently, observing her as she admired her surroundings with sparkling eyes. He wanted to call her attention and discuss business matters, but he hesitated, not wanting to disrupt her reverie. He waited for a few moments, stealing occasional glances at her from a distance.

"Ahem," he coughed, attempting to grab her attention.

Startled, she immediately jumped to her feet and stood in an alert position. "Yes, sir?" she responded.

Divit himself was taken aback by her reaction, feeling a mixture of surprise and confusion. "Relax," he said reassuringly.

She smiled sweetly, adjusting the hem of her kurti, which had folded up slightly. "So, is this where I'll be working?" she asked, her eyes gleaming with excitement.

"No," he replied curtly. "This is where permanent employees work. Trainees don't get their own cabin."

"You will be reporting to me on the project my team and I are working on. This is an opportunity for you to learn and grow. Make sure you give it your best because I'll be the one granting you your certificate," Divit informed her in a professional tone.

"Yes, sir," Avanti nodded confidently. "I will do my best."

Her constant smile slightly irked him. He couldn't fathom what was so pleasing to elicit such happiness. Yet, deep down, he realized that it wasn't the smile itself that bothered him; it was the look of satisfaction behind it.

"At least someone has found that," he sighed inwardly, acknowledging the presence of contentment in her eyes.

Divit cleared his throat, ready to address another matter. "As you know, you'll be staying at my flat," he began, feeling a wave of awkwardness wash over him.

Avanti nodded, waiting for him to continue.

"We can discuss the details later," he stumbled, trying to find the right words. "By the way, where is your luggage right now?" he asked, his intention to inquire about her current accommodation.

"It's currently at Vibhuti uncle's house. I'll retrieve it from there tomorrow," Avanti informed him, her eyes curious as to what conclusion he was trying to reach.

"So, you're staying there tonight?" Divit couldn't hide a glimmer of hope in his voice, almost resembling happiness. Was he secretly hoping for her to not stay with him? Avanti wondered silently, but she kept her thoughts to herself.

"No, I'm coming home," she replied, carefully observing his every expression.

He frowned, visibly confused, amusing her to the point where it was difficult to suppress her laughter. To her, he seemed like a lost child. She was now certain that he wasn't thrilled about sharing his flat with her, but she couldn't speak up or question him about it. She knew she wasn't going to leave his flat—it was a place she desperately needed.

From a young age, Avanti had always been adept at setting her priorities straight.

"What's your address?" she asked, maintaining a composed demeanor.

"Huh?" Divit uttered, momentarily snapped out of his sulking state.

"Your address?" she repeated, unable to conceal the curve of her lips that resembled a smile.

"Yes, I'll text you that," he replied, pausing abruptly. "No, wait." He quickly walked up to his desk, scribbled something on a white sheet of paper, tore it off, and returned to hand it to her.

Avanti looked at him in disbelief. She wouldn't have minded if he had asked for her number. After all, they were going to be staying together, so having each other's contact information was only logical.

"This guy needs to sort himself out," she thought, silently amused by the situation.

Divit, on the other hand, had intentionally refrained from asking for her number to avoid appearing desperate. It might have been seen as immature on his part, but he was willing to bear that label as long as he didn't come across as a creep.

_________________

Divit cautiously maneuvered his car out of the parking lot when suddenly someone leaped in front of his vehicle. Startled, he would have hit his head against the windshield if not for the seat belt securely holding him in place. Rolling down the window, he recognized the intruder as Avanti.

"Are you crazy?!" he shouted, his heart still racing from the surprise.

Avanti didn't respond immediately but instead grinned at him mischievously, tightening her ponytail as she approached his side of the window.

"Are you heading home?" she asked, her eyes sparkling with excitement.

"To ask me that, you planned on getting yourself run over?" Divit exclaimed, still recovering from the shock.

She mentally rolled her eyes at his exaggerated reaction and, unfazed by his anger, continued, "Can I tag along?"

Divit looked at her bewildered, taking note of the backpack slung over her shoulder and her hair neatly tied in a ponytail.

"Why?" he asked, feigning a mocking smile.

"Because we stay at the same place," she retorted, mimicking his tone, and opened the back door of his car, tossing her backpack inside.

"Well, Not yet" Divit smirked, now starting to enjoy the unexpected turn of events.

"That backpack was so heavy," Avanti sighed, walking around to the other side, opening the door, and settling in beside him, catching him off guard.

Divit glanced at her, his initial irritation giving way to a mixture of surprise and intrigue. He hadn't anticipated this boldness from Avanti, and a part of him found it intriguing.