19

It was late in the evening when Avanti shut off her computer, letting out a tired sigh. The employees working the B Shift had already started reporting, but she had been asked to stay back by Mr. Bharadwaj and meet him in the office later. As her colleagues left one by one, Avanti felt a sense of displacement. Her floor was nearly empty, and she noticed unfamiliar faces reporting for their duties.

Avanti couldn't help but reflect on how fascinating it had seemed when she would sit by her window at night, staring at the moon, dreaming of working in a corporate company in a big city and living independently. She had yearned to escape her mother's constant nagging and overprotective nature. But now, as she faced the realities of life, it all felt like a bloody scam. Independence had proven to be a struggle and burden. From figuring out what to eat after returning home to the next month's rent, the load was too much, and her real problems remained untouched.

Feeling bored, Avanti absentmindedly played with her pens, engaging in a pen fighting game, clearing the area on her desk. The pens collided with each other, their tails with caps and caps with tails, and Avanti found herself getting lost in the shadows they left behind. Their world seemed different from that of humans, shining so brightly with colors, leaving behind a spot of black whenever they collided.

"Madam?" a voice called out.

Avanti's reverie was broken, and she looked up, finding a man staring at her as if she were a crackhead.

"Yes?" she blinked, slightly startled.

"Bharadwaj Sir called you!" the man exclaimed and quickly left.

Avanti took a moment to collect herself. She gathered the scattered pens from the floor, placing them back in the pen holder, and collected her belongings before making her way to Mr. Bharadwaj's office.

After a single knock, she was called in.

"Avanti, my child! How are you?" Mr. Bharadwaj greeted her with a warm smile, instantly lifting her mood.

"I am good, Uncle! How are you? How is your sugar level?" Avanti smiled back, taking a seat across from him.

Mr. Bharadwaj let out a loud laugh before winking at her. "As long as your Auntie isn't stressing about it, it's fine!"

They laughed together, engaging in casual conversation and playful banter. Eventually, Mr. Bharadwaj brought up the topic of expenses and how Avanti was managing in the city.

"So, how is Divit as a roommate? I've known that boy for so long, and he has been brought up really well. Good boys like him are rare these days," Mr. Bharadwaj trailed off, watching Avanti keenly for her reaction.

Avanti chuckled and replied, "Yes, Uncle! Divit Sir is a really good person. I mean, I agree that he is a little boring... actually, very boring. But he's fine to be with. And to be honest, he is a very interesting boring... so boring that it makes him interesting..."

"What are you even talking about?" Mr. Bharadwaj blinked, taken aback by Avanti's response.

Avanti realized she had gone with the flow a bit too much and quickly added, "I mean, he is fine."

Mr. Bharadwaj nodded, and after a moment of silence, he cleared his throat. "Um, Avanti, don't mind, and don't get disheartened when I tell you something. First, listen to me calmly, and then react, okay?"

Avanti nodded, preparing herself for whatever Mr. Bharadwaj was about to say.

"Divit came to me today, and it seems like he's not enjoying your company too much," Mr. Bharadwaj revealed, raising his hand to prevent Avanti from interrupting.

"He's a man who values his personal space, and he doesn't appreciate interruptions very much. He doesn't want you to stay in his flat anymore, but I told him that I would talk to you about it. Avanti, I know how you are, but try to maintain a little distance with him if it helps you keep a roof over your head. Do you understand?" Mr. Bharadwaj explained with a compassionate tone.

Avanti could feel her temper rising, but she remembered the incidents that had caused Divit frustration. The flying mixer grinder and the burnt breakfast flashed through her mind, and her anger gradually subsided. Maybe, Divit wasn't entirely wrong in his feelings. She had troubled him, quite a lot, to be honest.

Avanti giggled, causing Mr. Bharadwaj to stare at her in surprise.

She felt like a naughty child whose complaints had been reported to her parents by the teacher. But she also felt a pang of hurt. Divit could have easily spoken to her directly instead of backbiting.

"What a bitch!" Avanti mentally cursed him. Verbally, she simply assured Mr. Bharadwaj that she would respect Divit's boundaries and there would be no more complaints.

With her head held high, she booked a cab and returned home. Divit's eyes repeatedly darted to the clock. It was past nine now. Where was she? Breaking another piece from his parantha, he dipped it into the raita and absentmindedly changed the TV channel. The prime-time news debates between priests and qadris seemed like nonsense to him.

Internally, Divit felt a tinge of guilt for his actions, but he believed that all was fair for peace and personal space. Besides, the incident from that morning was still fresh in his mind, and his anger hadn't entirely subsided. Though he was generally a calm person, Avanti had managed to tick him off this time.

Shivering from the cold, Avanti unlocked the door and stepped inside. Her coat was slightly wet from the constant drizzle, and the temperature had fallen below five degrees. Closing the door behind her, she removed her gloves and took off her coat, carrying it on her arm as she made her way inside.

Divit turned his head from the sofa upon hearing the noise. Avanti entered, appearing lost in her thoughts. Sensing his gaze, she looked up and flashed him a genuine smile.

Divit was taken aback. Had Mr. Bharadwaj actually spoken to her? If so, what was with that smile, and why did it seem so sincere?

Noticing his empty plate, she asked, "Did you have dinner?"

Divit nodded and watched her walk inside, disappearing into her room. He absentmindedly changed TV channels, keeping an eye on her from the corner of his eye as she searched the fridge for vegetables.

Clearing his throat, he said, "I ordered for you too since you were late. It's in the microwave."

Avanti got up, closed the fridge, and calmly walked toward him. Without beating around the bush, she asked, "If you disliked having me around so much, why didn't you tell me yourself?"

Divit closed his eyes and breathed out, switching off the TV. "I don't exactly dislike you; I just don't particularly like you."

Ignoring his statement, Avanti replied, "Whatever! You could have still talked to me face-to-face instead of backbiting."

Like or dislike, I'm still your boss," Divit replied, tilting his head and dipping his hands into his pockets.

Gritting her teeth, Avanti screeched, "Still, sir, some things can't be justified!"

Divit rolled his eyes unapologetically. "So, are you still planning to stay here?"

Avanti gasped, her jaw hanging open at his audacity. What did he think of himself? How could someone be so rude and oblivious about it?

Maintaining a composed demeanor, she replied calmly, "Yes, but I promise I won't trouble you anymore."

Without waiting for his response, she walked back to the kitchen, grabbed her dinner from the microwave, and went to her room, banging the door behind her. Just before closing it, she couldn't resist adding, "And yeah, thanks for the food."

The tension between them filled the apartment as both retreated to their own spaces, contemplating the recent turn of events.