48

The world can become a better place if our hearts beat for the right kind of people. But who are these right people? And why can't they be called wrong while the wrong people be called right? Because— far away from the judgments of our hearts in this temporary world, our souls breathe knowing in the truest sense, deep and vivid, what is actually right.

Moreover, there are no inherently bad people; there are just individuals who are struggling with difficult times and circumstances. As time passed, things began to settle between them. Life bloomed with vibrant colors, akin to blossoming flowers, and Avanti felt like a butterfly gracefully soaring in a beautiful garden.

For Divit, everything seemed too good to be true. In the darkest hours of the night, he often found himself questioning the beauty of time, a smitten smile playing on his lips. And yet, when the next day arrived and he saw Avanti beaming at him, radiating positivity, he knew it was all real.

Pushing back her chair, Avanti leaned back, gently cracking her neck. She removed the rubber band from her bun, letting her hair fall freely as she ran her fingers through it, detangling the knots. Adjusting her identity card, she stood up and pulled up her jeans.

Heading towards the canteen, she walked lazily, stifling a yawn. Her day at the office had been extremely dull, with no work except for sending a few scattered emails here and there.

Approaching the counter, she ordered a plate of fried rice when her eyes fell upon a cake box tucked away in the corner. Curiosity sparked within her, and she followed the gaze to a nearby table where her seniors were enjoying their lunch. Returning to an empty table, she sat down and was soon joined by Nimrat, her fellow colleague.

"Where's your lunch?" Nimrat chirped, placing her tray on the table.

"It's on its way," Avanti replied, picking up a piece of fried chips. "What's going on?"

"Nothing much. Zubaida is after my life, as usual."

"The office politics here are really bad," Avanti agreed before getting up to collect her order.

Her eyes once again darted towards the counter, where she noticed her seniors placing two bottles of cold drinks. Picking up two spoons, she returned to her table and handed one to Nimrat, while asking, "Whose birthday is it?"

"Divit sir. The Team lead—"

"I think— What? What did you say?" Avanti froze, her jaw dropping midway.

"Divit Sir," Nimrat took a spoonful of rice.

Avanti paled at this newfound information. She couldn't believe she hadn't known about his birthday. If it were possible to die of embarrassment from a mere drop of water, this would be the moment for her. Not only did she feel bad, but she also felt as if she were dying of shame for not having wished him, especially after seeing him so many times since the morning.

Dropping her spoon, she immediately stood up, determined to rush to his office. Ignoring all of Nimrat's calls, she made her way out and took the elevator to his floor.

Outside his cabin, she could hear loud chuckles and laughter. With a small knock, she walked in, and silence engulfed the room as every head turned to look at her. Coffee cups hung mid-air, and fries paused outside of mouths, as everyone stared at her as though she were an alien.

"Hello," Avanti tried to smile, attempting to cover up the awkwardness, but it resembled a face of someone battling constipation rather than a genuine smile.

No response came as everybody continued to gaze at her, unimpressed. Divit placed his cup down and blinked away the shock before addressing her, "Avanti?"