24

"We all sail on the boats that cross the sea, braving uneven waves. Some take the right turn, while others veer off the wrong path. But in the end, we all must face death. However, Avanti, my child, it is not the inevitability of death that matters; it is the path we walk, paving our way towards the end. Death comes for all, it is invincible. But think about it, do we wish for a death filled with regrets or a death of peace—a death which we will face unblinking, with our heads held high, without fear?" After a long pause, her mother caressed her head and continued, "Do what is right, and right will be done to you. Do wrong, and you will face a difficult death. Stand tough, work hard. Value the life that has been given to you. Fight hard and make it worth it."

It was a sudden flashback, and Avanti controlled herself from letting out a whimper. She looked up as Divit dealt with the police while she stood a few meters away, trying to blink away the hot tears.

Her heart clenched with absolute pain and profound insult, as the words that were thrown at her echoed in her mind. Her heart throbbed with unbearable pain, and she was left with only one question: "She did what was right, so why wasn't right done to her?"

Words and whispers rang in her ears as Divit spoke with the police, trying to handle the matter. She was accused of attempted murder. She never thought the situation would escalate to such an extent. The lady called the police, and she was left to face the accusations. Nobody... nobody talked about how she was insulted. But when asked by the police if she tried to hit Mrs. Agnihotri, there seemed to be countless witnesses.

Who were those people, and were they even human?

From where she stood, she could only catch bits and pieces of the conversation.

"Sorry, sir."

"Yes, sir."

"We will take care of it."

"No, she didn't mean to."

"I can guarantee that."

"It won't happen again."

Almost an hour later, the police left after issuing a warning. Instead of feeling like a victim, she felt like a culprit.

Letting out a breath of relief, Divit turned to her, only to find her already staring at him.

Avanti looked away and tried to move back towards her room when she heard him calling her. She didn't stop and quickened her pace.

"AVANTI!" She was pulled back as Divit held her arm. "I am calling you. Listen to me," he seethed in anger.

"Leave my hand and let me go," she didn't look up, scared that he might see her falling apart.

He didn't.

Wriggling under his hold, she tried to pull her hand back, increasing his anger.

"No!" he yelled. "I am not letting you go. You have to listen to me."

After a few minutes of silence, she looked up, matching his gaze—looking directly into his eyes. "I am listening."

Divit was taken aback by her attitude. First, she shouldn't have confronted Mrs. Agnihotri, and now, what was this kind of attitude she was showing? What was she trying to prove?

"Don't give me that, okay?" Divit seethed, glaring at her and dropping her hand. "Learn to accept your faults and act like an adult."

"My fault?" she yelled, her voice laced with disbelief. "Are you even listening to yourself? That lady was tarnishing my character, and I'm not even allowed to react? I am not supposed to retaliate? "

"React?" Divit snorted, shaking his head in disbelief. "Jumping on somebody as if you're going to kill them is your definition of a valid reaction?"

Furrowing her brows, Avanti stared at him, her mind going blank, and her heart dropping. "What are you trying to say?" Her voice was calm but slow, a mix of confusion and hurt.