23

Ting Tong Ting Tong

Deep in his sleep, Divit reveled in the bliss of the night, snoring softly. White sheets and crumpled pages scattered across his bed, resembling falling leaves from a towering tree. His hair danced lightly across his forehead. The blanket lay haphazardly, partly covering his body, with one leg sneaking out from a corner.

Ting Tong Ting Tong

Frowning in his peaceful slumber, Divit disregarded the other sounds that seemed to emanate from his hallucinations.

Ting Tong Ting Tong Ting Tong Ting Tong Ting To-

Startled, Divit jolted awake, his breath catching for a moment. What was that sound?

Ting Tong Ting Tong Ting Tong

A bell? Divit immediately checked the time. Who on earth would ring the bell at five in the morning? His mind raced through the possibilities as he got up to answer the door.

Rubbing his eyes to ward off sleep, he grabbed his hoodie to shield himself from the cold that sent shivers down his spine. An uneasy feeling settled in the pit of his stomach as he walked toward the door.

Students!

Divit glanced at the time once more. Five o'clock! Wildlings, those mischievous students. It must be their doing. He vividly remembered instructing one of the kids during his evening walk to spread the news among the morning batch that Avanti wouldn't be teaching on Monday.

Agitated and furious, he unlocked the door and swung it wide open, ready to scold the students and send them back home. However, his anger subsided when he caught sight of her face.

As if a fresh breeze had washed away the remnants of sleep from his eyes, he stared at her as if she were a dream. And indeed, she looked like a dream. Her hair tied up in a ponytail, a coat enveloping her petite frame like a warm blanket, and her face glowing like the moon. Her aura emanated a moonlight-like beauty, captivating him and engulfing him entirely, leaving everything else in tatters.

Avanti observed the transformation of his face, from anger to calmness, and finally to serenity. A small smile graced his lips, growing wider with each passing second as he took in her presence. He seemed to radiate happiness.

Amused, she pressed her lips together, cherishing this unfamiliar moment. Yet, no memories surfaced of him smiling like this before. It was the first time he genuinely smiled upon seeing her, and she could bet her email ID that he looked beautiful—poetic and otherwise.

Making her way inside, she dropped her bag on the sofa and bent down to untie her shoes, neatly placing them in a corner.

"You came this early?" she asked, turning to face him.

"I didn't want to take a day off," he replied, walking closer to her. "How is your mother doing?"

"She's sick," Avanti sighed. "She isn't doing well. The doctor said her breathing problems will only worsen as she gets older. It's not a severe disease, just asthma, but her body isn't handling it well. Her immune system is weak, and she often skips her medication. She's currently undergoing treatment, and I promised her I would visit her more often."

Divit nodded, understanding her concerns.

"What did you do yesterday?" Avanti chirped, stretching her arms.

"Nothing much! Just another boring weekend," he replied.

"Did you miss me?" she teased, her eyes sparkling mischievously.

Divit continued to gaze at her for a long moment, his eyes going deep to untouched and undiscovered depths unwavering the secrets one by one that laid beneath- barren, as if they were his own to reveal, he blinked.