36

Placing the empty dish back on the small countertop, his gaze wandered around the cozy kitchen, and Avanti turned to find him standing behind her, looking around.

Mixing the onions and broccoli with the batter, she rolled the mixture in the bowl before pouring it into the hot oil in the pan. After washing her hands in the small basin in the corner, she dried them with the towel hanging on the door and walked up to him, her smile radiant.

"Did you enjoy breakfast?" she asked, her eyes sparkling.

His mind drifted back to the mouthwatering aroma of the deliciously crunchy pakoras she had cooked for him. His heart faintly smiled, remembering the days when she couldn't enter the kitchen without nearly causing an explosion or burning the ingredients almost every other time.

And now she cooked like a pro, reminding him of his mother.

"It was good," he nodded, a small smile gracing his lips. "You have indeed learned how to cook."

Her laughter echoed within the kitchen walls, mesmerizing him for a moment.

"It's all about time," she replied, her lips forming a smile.

"Yeah, time," he whispered back, nodding.

Returning to the countertop, she rolled the pakoras and fried them until they turned a deep golden brown, then turned the flame to low. Taking another pan, she added a cup of water and placed it on the other side of the stove to prepare tea.

"What would you like to take with you, sandwiches or parathas?" she asked, glancing back at him, her attention divided between the bubbling oil and him.

"No, no, no. Don't pack anything," Divit shook his head as he walked toward her. "I'll eat something on the way. There's no need."

"Divit, you're taking the bus, and the snowfall nearby is really bad. You might not find anything for hours, so let me..." Her voice trailed off as she shook her head. "And if you do find something, don't eat this. Have something warm."

"But, Avanti..."

The doorbell interrupted him, and Avanti sighed irritably before turning off the gas and walking outside to see who it was.

Divit followed her into the hallway but stopped and sat silently on the couch.

Opening the door, Avanti recognized the faces. Her eyes widened in realization, and she sighed before stepping outside.

"The due date is still three days away," she maintained her composure, stating without hesitation.

"Madam, the due date is three days away, but the monthly due date was a week ago," the man snapped, scratching his head in boredom.

Suppressing the harsh words that threatened to spill out, she remained calm and composed. "I will pay by tomorrow, at the latest the day after tomorrow. But for now, leave. I have a guest inside, and..."

"Madam, we know you're not running away with the money, but Sahib told us to collect it today," the other man squirmed uncomfortably.

"Listen..."

"Avanti," Divit looked perplexed. He had heard voices inside before coming out to see what was going on.

Avanti closed her eyes, panicking slightly. This was the last thing she wanted right now. She didn't want him to know at all.

Wiping her mouth, she turned to look at him. "Um, Divit, it's nothing. You go pack your bags, I'll just come."

Knowing that it was not nothing, Divit matched her gaze, almost challenging her to try again. His eyes darted back to the well-built men who watched him with curiosity. His eyes asked questions that words could never reach, and it scared her-scared her to let him enter the boundaries she had closed the doors to for anybody.
Her struggles were her own, and having someone share the bitter parts would mean falling weak and accepting her defeat.