25

Days passed and months crossed the line of time and the summer arrived as the sun shined brighter over the world. Words dwindled and distance grew like an element of nature between them and both of them couldn't detect why, yet completely aware of the faults and mistakes that came former causing the regret and distance as the latter.

Lack of communication came so handy, appearing almost invincible, subsiding them to themselves. It became a convenient shield, rendering them isolated within themselves.

It was a reduction- reduction of their self conscience and murder to their own will as their ego danced nakedly over their heads and proud didn't let them confess their mistakes.

It was a diminishing of self-awareness, a self-inflicted blow to their own wills, as their egos danced brazenly above their heads, preventing them from confessing their mistakes. As much as it troubled Avanti, it was even worse for Divit. He knew he shouldn't have uttered those words, but what exacerbated the situation was his inability to express himself fully. When he said it was her mistake, he never intended to belittle her choices and her right to independence. Instead, he wanted her to understand the harsh reality of a judgmental world. As much as fiction painted a beautiful and poetic picture, reality could be equally cruel, biased, and unfair.

Words carrying venom has the power to tear you apart, the poison seeping- slowly and relentlessly.

Divit didn't want Avanti to change her ways; he simply wished for her to become more resilient against the wrongful judgments that reached her ears, piercing her heart. It had been a long time since he berated himself for his poor choice of words, for failing to express in simple terms that while her violent reactions were wrong, her strength and ability to stand up for herself were commendable. He couldn't fathom why he struggled to articulate himself when it mattered the most.

On the other hand, Avanti felt anger—towards Divit, herself, and everyone else. She was mad at herself for being unable to admit her own faults, and she couldn't comprehend why she had felt the need for superiority. The dismantling of her pride and self-respect left her unable to apologize to him for her mean behavior. Moreover, she grew increasingly angry as days turned into four long months, and Divit failed to apologize, allowing the tension to persist.

Every day, they crossed paths, sometimes sharing silent meals and other times locked in their own rooms, with plates full of food but hearts filled with misery and minds burdened with stress and tension. It wasn't that stress and tension were unfamiliar; they both knew it was part of life's journey. However, what ate away at them was this unnecessary distance that could have been bridged with just a little communication.

It had reached a ridiculous extent. Whenever they saw each other, they would turn away, and if circumstances forced them together, they would avert their gaze. Avanti attempted to find another apartment, but the fear of hurting Uncle Vibhuti held her back. The people in the society might have been complete idiots, but the locality was safe. Besides, regardless of what Divit said or did, he still provided a sense of security.

And one day, Avanti found herself standing in front of the tap, holding a brush, and contemplating the situation. The water trickled out at a painfully slow pace, eventually coming to a halt. She gasped, frustrated with the turn of events. Bloody hell! Cursing under her breath, she checked the other taps, only to find them blocked as well. After washing her hands and rinsing her mouth using the water in the bucket, she reluctantly left the bathroom and walked into the hallway.

Curiosity led her to the kitchen, where she frowned in surprise to find the tap working perfectly. She couldn't comprehend what had happened. The last thing she wanted to do was ask Divit about it. After contemplating for a while, she didn't spot Divit anywhere in the hall, so she cautiously made her way to his room. Peeking inside, relief washed over her as she saw that he wasn't there, but she heard the sound of running water.