29

Taking a drag from her cigarette, Avanti pulled her legs closer to her chest and leaned against the massive water tank. She gazed up at the stars twinkling overhead, captivated by the captivating shades of black and gray in the sky. It made her wonder if life was just a series of illusions, casting the illusion of happiness everywhere.

Life, she thought, was like a tragic fairytale for everyone. Regardless of wealth or happiness, the feeling of satisfaction always seemed elusive. Avanti took out a bank slip from her pocket and examined it, trying to grasp the hard work and sweat that went into earning that money.

Months of stress, sleepless nights, endless tutoring sessions, and sacrificing her own sleep for extra income—it all felt like a long, arduous journey, longer than reaching the moon that shone brightly before her eyes, hiding the scars and struggles behind its radiant glow.

However, the last installment was still pending, due in a few months. Avanti had no idea how she would manage it now that her savings had been depleted. Her mother's health was deteriorating day by day, and the regret of not being there for her weighed heavily on Avanti's heart.

The cost of medication was also becoming increasingly burdensome, and she worried about how her sister, Ridhi, was managing it all alone. Two months ago, when her mother had visited Gurugram, Avanti still remembered the night when her mother had cradled her head in her lap, tears welling up in her eyes as she smiled faintly and said, "Just know that I am proud of you, my child." Those words had brought a smile to Avanti's face and had kept the flame of hope alive—that things would get better, slowly but surely.

Her phone vibrated next to her, pulling her out of her thoughts. She picked it up and saw a notification from Divit. A small smile formed on her lips as she realized it was from him. The message read, "I will be late."

Putting her phone away, Avanti returned her gaze to the moon, the smile lingering on her lips. She felt a cool wave of wind brush against her face, bringing her senses to life. They say life changes with time, and with time, you meet new people—some change you for the better, while others become lessons and experiences. But nobody mentions how, without changing because of someone, you can start to feel better about everything—with the same flaws and imperfections.

Divit hadn't changed; he was still the same man who valued his personal space and preferred to keep his words to a minimum. However, he had evolved to make Avanti a part of his space and willingly listened to her ramblings. Avanti couldn't pinpoint their exact standing, but whatever it was, whatever they had, she knew it was more than mere attraction. They were still on a road that could lead them anywhere—a path written in their destiny or a path they would carve themselves, reshaping the lines of their palms.

They were still exploring, slowly surrendering to their emotions with pure intensity. They still had their disagreements and arguments, and there were days when Divit would not speak to Avanti and she would just pretend to ignore his existence. But amidst it all, all said and done, and all held and felt, there was an unbreakable thread growing stronger with each passing night and the dawn of each new day.

From late-night conversations to moments of comfortable silence, they had grown together, becoming an integral part of each other's lives. Running her fingers through her hair, Avanti took one last look at the moon before getting up and tossing her cigarette aside and descending the stairs to the terrace. 

Turning on the bed again and again, Avanti got up frustrated. Glancing at the time, she realized it was already past one in the morning. She had an early start the next day, with test papers to check and a tuition session at six.