200. Grey Horizons

Marilla thought they should not tell Anne that the money wouldn't be returned.

"She's happy with Billy gone and being at school- why tell her something that'll get her upset again? From now on, things might be smooth sailing!"

Matthew nodded. "I agree. She doesn't need to know about it. Maybe not till she's grown, even."

Marilla looked at him. "You think that long?"

Matthew said slowly, "Well, she oughtn't to make decisions about money, she's just a child. When she grows up she can make better decisions for herself."

--

Wednesday morning they drove her to school again, and this time she bounced out of the buggy before it even stopped, ready for a new day of school ahead of her, with friends to surround her.

Matthew and Marilla both felt a bittersweet twinge at seeing her go. They were happy for her, but they both missed her terribly already- the school days seemed long after having her around the house, filling it up with her happy chatter.

They drove home in silence, each in their own thoughts.

---

"Anne," Ruby said, pulling her. "Sit with me."

Diana frowned. "Ruby, she's sitting with me."

"But Josie won't sit with me anymore," Ruby said. "And I don't want her too, anyway- I'd have so much more fun with Anne. Will you write me notes like you wrote Diana?"

Diana spoke up, "She only wrote me notes because we hadn't seen each other in ages! We can't keep writing during class like that! We'll get in trouble. We very nearly did before!"

"But Anne, you will, won't you? You say such funny things in your notes, and school is so dreadfully boring without you," Ruby begged.

Anne laughed, happy to be fought over.

"I have to sit with Diana, Ruby, but I'll write notes to you, as long as you promise not to let Mr. Phillips catch us!"

----

Anne, Moody keeps looking at me! I think he likes me!

Anne almost giggled, but stopped herself.

Drop something and see if he picks it up.

A few seconds later, Ruby's slate pencil rolled across the aisle.

Eeeek! Did you see the way he JUMPED for it?!

Anne's hand flew to her mouth so she wouldn't react.

Yes, and Ruby, he was blushing from the tips of his ears!

She practically heard Ruby squeal behind her. Anne glanced back and caught Ruby's sparkling eyes. Shhh! She mimed. Then she wrote:

Do you really like him, Ruby? He looks like he worships the ground you walk on!

Ruby poked her in the back and Anne reached behind her.

Well, he isn't Gilbert Blythe, but there's something different about him.

Anne waited for Mr. Phillips to turn his back again.

I agree, Ruby. Wholeheartedly! There's something really sweet about him- earnest and good natured. He blends into the crowd, but perhaps that means he tries harder.

Ruby wrote,

I don't know why I never noticed him before! Gilbert is so handsome and dashing that he blotted out every other boy, but Moody has every bit of sweetness Gil has!