213. The Pyes

Morgan Ryland paid the Pye household a visit that afternoon.

Mrs. Pye accepted him in graciously, thinking he was just coming to call, after not having seen him since he first went away to law school. They chatted for a few minutes until Morgan told her he had a train to catch back to the university and wanted to get to the point of his visit.

"Mrs. Pye, I'm sure by now you know the truth of the matter regarding the Andrews' boy."

Mrs. Pye looked stiff. "I am aware that...that girl has made false accusations against him."

Morgan paused. "I don't believe they're false, ma'am. I believe he attacked her."

"Attacked her?!"

Morgan was caught off guard. "Yes...what did you think I was referring to?"

"Well...she and Gilbert Blythe engaged in...impurity. Together. And Anne's trying to pass her child off as Billy's in order to get money from the Andrews."

Morgan just stared at her for a moment. Finally he said, "Ma'am, I don't know how to tell you this, but whatever the rumor mill has churned out, it's unfounded...Anne was attacked by that boy. Billy. He attacked her in the woods on the way to school. ...I offered them advice about how to proceed with police involvement."

Mrs. Pye did not say anything.

"There's no doubt in my mind an attack happened. But the real reason I wanted to visit- and I must head off in a moment, I'm due on a train leaving at four-fifteen- is simply to warn you about the legal realities of it."

"What do you mean?"

"The reason the Cuthbert's are not pursuing the matter is that a trial would be an ordeal for an already distraught victim," he said.

He took a deep breath. "I've heard of your daughter's defense of Billy, and it concerns me."

Mrs. Pye looked confused.

"The fact is, Mrs. Pye, if Billy were to do the same thing to your daughter, there really would be very little you could do about it. Your daughter would be subjected to a long and exhausting trial, where she would be forced to recount the tale to a group of strange men who would then badger her about her own virtue and whether or not she tempted him."

"Josie would never do such a thing. She isn't like Anne!"

"It makes no difference at all whether Josie is a virtuous girl or not; by default she will be treated as if she isn't."

Mrs. Pye looked troubled.

"If I may advise you, Mrs. Pye, I would not allow your daughter to associate with that boy. Should something happen to her, you would be all but defenseless against the law. Her name would be in the papers, her story will be twisted, and her life will be changed."

He took a deep breath. "The only way to avoid that is to do nothing, but then she- just like Anne- will have to see her attacker in her day to day life, which might be considered just as much of a hardship as going through a trial."

Mrs. Pye did not say anything. Her mouth was set in a tight line; her expression unreadable.

"I must set off. Please write to me if there is anything I've said that you have questions about. I'll see myself out."

---

It was on that very same day that Dr. Carter stopped by the Pye's home after making a house call at a neighboring farm. He looked troubled, as if he didn't want to be there, but thought he had a duty.