212. Drowning

"Anne," Gilbert said gently, standing in the doorway of her room.

She wasn't sleeping, but she didn't answer him, either.

He came in and sat down. "Anne, I talked to Diana and Jane today."

She didn't look at him.

He scooted the chair closer to the bed.

"Your hair looks nice down like that," he commented. "Although- is it wet? I hope you won't catch cold."

Finally she spoke. "Marilla dragged me out of bed and told me I had to take a bath. And I said I wouldn't. Then she left the room. I tried to follow her out, but the second she left the room she locked the door behind her, so I was stuck in there, and she said she wouldn't let me out till I took a bath. So I did. And I hate her."

Gilbert did not know what to say to that, so all he said was, "Well, she's worried about you, Anne...we all are."

"She tried to drown me."

"She tried to drown you, huh? That's...unfortunate."

"I took a bath, didn't I, and that wasn't even good enough for her. When I was done, she finally let me out of the room, but then she said, 'Anne, you didn't wash your hair.' And I said I wouldn't, wasn't it enough I took a bath? Then she dragged me over to the sink and shoved my head in and scrubbed away like she was trying to make all my hair fall out, and then she dumped water on my head. ...She was trying to drown me."

Gilbert tried not to laugh. Anne was not the most reliable narrator, and while her hair had obviously been washed, he sincerely doubted Miss Cuthbert had "shoved" her head in and "dumped" water over her or "tried to make all her hair fall out."

All he said was, "I'm sorry she tried to drown you. I'm glad you're still alive."

"I'm not."

"Anne," he said, suddenly broken and terribly worried. He reached out for her hand. "Anne, please don't say things like that. If anything happened to you I...I don't know what I'd do. I couldn't go on."

Anne did not respond to that and asked only, "Why are you here?"

After a moment he began, "Well, we were thinking that maybe...if you would agree...we'd try to get Josie to come round to our side."

Anne looked up at him. "Josie hates me. And she's the one who started the whole thing. Why do you think she'd do anything to help?"

"Josie doesn't know the truth."

"Yes, she does!" Anne said loudly, sitting up. "She knows what Billy did! Even when she thought Billy made me have a baby, she was still on his side! You're a fool if you think she'll ever be on my side!"

"But-"

"Aren't you angry with her?! She told half the town it was your baby, Gilbert!"

Then Anne said bitterly, "Of course the rumors didn't do a thing to you, did they? No one gossips about what you might have done. It's all on me!"

Gilbert felt terrible. "I know, Anne, it's not fair and I'm sorry."

She was quiet. Then she whispered, "Could you get me a hankie? They're in the first drawer."

Gilbert got up and went to her dresser. "Here?"

She nodded.

He awkwardly opened the drawer and was very relieved to see there was one right in front so he wouldn't have to go digging around for it.

He brought it to her.

She sat up to take it, and was wiping her nose as Gilbert sat back down.

Her damp hair fell loose around her shoulders and as she let the hankie drop to her lap she wrapped her arms around herself.

"You're cold," Gilbert realized. "Let me go ask Miss Cuthbert for another quilt."

"No, don't," she pleaded. Only a moment before, she wanted him to go. Now, she couldn't bear to think of him leaving her.

"But you're cold."

"I'll be all right. I have my robe on."

Gilbert slipped his jacket off. "I know, but...look, wear my jacket, too, all right?"

Anne said, "I don't really blame you for the way people took the rumors. You can't help what they care about. ...It just doesn't seem fair that girls are scrutinized so much while boys are just waved off for the very same thing."

Gilbert pulled his jacket around her. "It's not right. And I don't blame you for being angry."

"Why did you ask me if I was all right with you trying to get Josie to change her mind? Of course I'd be glad if she changed her mind. But she won't."

"Uh," Gilbert began, knowing this had to be handled just right. "Remember how Billy told Josie that you threw yourself at him?"

"How could I forget? Poor, naïve Billy couldn't help himself, me being such a seductress and all!"

"Well, Josie believes that, right? That's why she defends him."

Anne shook her head, angry. "What's wrong with a girl that she likes a boy so much she's willing to make excuses for him?!"

"I don't think she'd be on his side anymore if she had proof that he truly did attack you."

Anne was staring at him.

"So," he continued fearfully, "We were thinking that if we had some real proof it was an attack- and how vicious an attack it was- that she'd realize Billy lied to her..."

"What do you mean, proof?"

Gilbert moved so he was sitting next to her. "We- Diana and Jane and I- were hoping you might be willing to show Josie your stockings and petticoat. Or-" he rushed quickly, seeing her face- "Or just one or the other. Just something."

Anne stared at him a moment. Then she said, "She'll probably just think I ripped them myself."

"But we also have Billy's shirt- the one he was wearing that day he came over here, when we were alone. Jane took it, and it's never been washed; the blood is still on it."

Anne looked sick.

"Even if a person ripped up their own clothes, they couldn't fake blood, could they? Especially not on his shirt. Why would his shirt be bloody? There's no way you could have set that up. She'll know it means something really did happen. And your clothes, well, it's just more proof, you know?" Gilbert said. "We don't really have to have it, I guess, but we thought it might help to convince her."

Anne sat there, thinking. Then she shook her head. "I don't want people looking at my underthings. Even if it's just Josie."

Gilbert nodded slowly. "All right," he said. "'I understand."

They sat, quiet, for a moment.

Gilbert finally asked, "Do you want me to go?"

After a pause, she said, "No."

It bothered Gilbert that she wasn't talking like she used to. He was still holding her hand, now he squeezed it.

"I really do love you, Anne," he said quietly, looking down at their intertwined hands.

"I know."

That was all she said.