206.

Author Note: Sorry, I've never gone a week without an update, so I apologize for like a two week wait. I have the next chapters written but not posted yet. At first it was because I didn't have time, but now it is just a confidence thing, I'm struggling with things being good enough to show you. Sorry. Also this chapter doesn't have a title because I don't even know what to call it. Sorry.

When Anne came home Wednesday evening, she told Matthew and Marilla tearfully about how Gilbert's father was worse.

While they were truly sympathetic, they did not feel she ought to miss school.

"Wait until after school. We'll drive you over there," Marilla said reassuringly.

"And we'll go in and see him, too, Anne," was Matthew's gentle offer.

Marilla stared at him in surprise. But then she said softly, "Yes...I suppose we ought to."

"But I want to stay all day!" Anne pleaded. "He needs me. He's sick and he's tired and he says I bring him magic. Oh, please let me go!"

"But school-"

"There's nothing I'll learn in school tomorrow that can't be learned on any other day," Anne said resolutely. "But seeing a person when they're so fearfully ill must come first."

Marilla looked unconvinced until Anne, looking into her eyes, reached her: "If anything happens to Mr. Blythe while I'm stuck at school, I'll regret it for all of eternity! How would you feel, Marilla, if Mr. Blythe called you his magic, and you went away and left him, and then you could never, ever see him again? The most dreadful thing in the world is to live a life of regret!"

Marilla let her go.

Anne spent the day by Gilbert's side- making tea, buttering toast, mashing potatoes, stoking the fire and warming blankets over it, and telling stories until her imagination ran dry.

When it began to get dark, the Cuthberts were there, ready to bring her home.

"Should we go in...?" Marilla asked her hesitantly.

"He's asleep now," she said quietly. "Maybe tomorrow."

But on Friday morning, Mr. Blythe had more energy, and everyone's spirits were lifted. He wasn't well, by any stretch of the imagination, but he could sit up, he stayed awake a little while longer, and his eyes seemed to have light in them again.

Gilbert thought Anne should go back to school for the afternoon. "I can drive you there," he offered. "And come get you when it's over."

"I want to stay," she insisted.

"All right, all right," he said, shaking his head.

"You don't want me to?" she asked.

"Of course I want you to stay. I just don't like you missing school, is all- you've had to miss so much already. But...I'm glad you're here with us. You've really helped my dad...I bet it's because of you that he's better today."

"Well, I don't know that I helped that much, but if I could be a harbinger of glad tidings, I'm grateful."

They smiled at each other.

Later, after they'd all eaten dinner together in Mr. Blythe's room, Mr. Blythe told Gilbert to drive Anne home. "I know they're set to pick you up this evening, but I'm all right, and if Gilbert takes you now, you'll be home before dusk and it'll save them a trip."

Anne hugged him and told him she'd be back tomorrow.

"No, no," he said. "Tomorrow is Saturday. You ought to sleep in and have time to do things for yourself. I'll be just fine."